Direct recording with Mesa rack gear

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KDS

Reaction score
Is it possible to get good recorded tone straight from a Triaxis or Recto Rec Pre? I'd like to get some gear to let me record straight to my hard drive in my little bedroom studio. I know these two sound great going through a Mesa power amp but I'd like to bypass all that. (plus I'd just record my ROV if I was going to mic something!).

Thanks for your input!

The Rec Pre sounds awesome with a cab/speaker sim of some kind (Amplitube 2 is pretty good.) The direct tones w/o any cab sim sound better in a mix than they do solo. If you have a cab sim you like, the range of tones you can get out of a Rec Pre is mindboggling, much wider than you'd get from a Recto head.

However, it would kinda depend what you're going for. I admit that haven't ever tried to get really brutal metal tones out of mine, and I'm more of an experimental/alt-rock guy. I have some samples of the higher-gain Channel 2 with a hardware cab sim (ADA MicroCab II) straight into Sonar here:

http://www.citizensofgravity.com/channel2.wav (11 MB file, but good sound quality.)

I'll have to start checking out some cab simulators and what amplitube can do. I'm more of a blues rock guy but I like to get crunchy from time to time too. From what I've heard posted here I would agree that the rec pre is deeper tone-wise than a standard DR.

thanks!

Latest posts

Back