Dimarzio

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RASPUTIN

Reaction score
I'm thinking about changing my stock pickups in my Ibanez SZ520 to Dimarzio's. Probably an Air Norton in the neck and a Tone Zone in the bridge. What do you guys think? What are the tonal differences between that combo and a 59'/JB?

Dude, I can only comment on the TZ. This is one awesome p'up! It's got a very smooth, compressed, and musical tone to it. On top of that, it's got a great eq curve- tons of tight bass, nice rounded highs, and fat mids. Single notes burn long and break up into all sorts of complex harmonics. CHords are prettly clear, too. It's an awesome all around pickup, I think.

Now, while its great in a bright sounding guitar as it really attenuates some of the highs and fattens up th ebottom end, I think it may sound a bit muddy in guitar made of alder or basswood. I don't know though, and that's why your amp has an eq.

SZ is mahogany if i'm correct.
when i was buying pickups for my mahogany guitar (RG2120X) i've been split between Steve's Special (NOT a steve vai signature or something like that... named after some dimarzio guy) and the Tone Zone.

and i was thinking, since the mahogany body is bassy by the nature i thought the Tone Zone might sound muddy in it, so i've chosen the Steve's Special over the TZ. And I don't regret it! ALTHOUGH the pickup is a bit modern sounding, not the conventional phatass guitar rhytm 'we all seek and adore'.

so, if i were you, i'd look for a bit treblier pickup then TZ. also i heard its the bomb in Basswood body (which is more neutral,perhaps thin sounding)
BUT i did not try the TZ in mahogany, so i dont really know how it sounds.

Latest posts

Back