Different speakers for a Mark IIC+ Simul Class W/EVM

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramalam

Reaction score
I am on my second C+. Both were equipped with EVMs. The first was a 60/100 and sounded fantastic when I was in bands in S. F. in the 80s. This amp is a Simul Class and now that I no longer gig and rarely get the opportunity to crank it up I want to check into other speaker possibilities. I am looking for something warmer, less efficient and maybe something that will break up. Has anyone had any experience with comparing this amp, with an EVM to this amp with an EV FORCE? What do you think of the C90? Any other suggestions? I don't want to try anything that handles less than 65 watts. I am going to try a Rola Celestion G12-65, which has been my favorite speaker for my other amps. Thanks for any input.

i think your problem is more due to the immense amount of power that amp puts out, it's not really a bedroom amp. instead of a speaker swap, i think you might get closer to ideal if you had your amp biased to run 6v6 tubes. i am not an amp tech, but i believe it can be done fairly easily. (at least a lot easier than the other way around in most situations)

i think that might get you a lot closer to what you want than a speaker swap. (maby not, different strokes) also, even though i'm not a huge fan of them. a power attenuator might work for you. imo i don't think speaker break up sounds anything like pushed tubes, but some people love it. in any case i would definately keep the original speaker, even if you don't use it.

Boogafunk said:
i think your problem is more due to the immense amount of power that amp puts out, it's not really a bedroom amp. instead of a speaker swap, i think you might get closer to ideal if you had your amp biased to run 6v6 tubes. i am not an amp tech, but i believe it can be done fairly easily. (at least a lot easier than the other way around in most situations)

i think that might get you a lot closer to what you want than a speaker swap. (maby not, different strokes) also, even though i'm not a huge fan of them. a power attenuator might work for you. imo i don't think speaker break up sounds anything like pushed tubes, but some people love it. in any case i would definately keep the original speaker, even if you don't use it.

I appreciate your input Boogafunk. I agree that these amps really want to be pushed. I use it mostly in my, semi insulated, studio/2 1/2 car garage at beyond bedroom but still not optimum levels. I can run it in Class A, with the EL34s to get down to about 15-16 watts. I have done a lot of tube swapping and speaker swapping in other amps and found I generally get more tonal and loudness differences by switching speakers. If I get a less efficient speaker, the amp will have to push the tubes harder to get the same volume. I also agree with you about attenuators. I have had three different ones over the years and at the level of attenuation I am looking for, they don't work well for me. Another thing I have tried is to plug the speaker into a 4 ohm jack. It reduces the efficiency and works the amp a little harder I don't really like the sound. Also, I am definitely keeping the EVM. Thanks for your suggestions.

Doesn't anyone have experience with trying other speakers in their C+? I have been swapping speakers for many years. It is just about the first thing I do when I want to dial in an amp and it only take about 5 minutes on a C+. I always have about 3 or 4 different models to try. It can make a huge improvement on many amps.

All that i have tried with my C+ is V30's and Evm's..both sound great.. the v30 is alittle more toppy but its great for heavy thick chords i wouldn't mind hear a cab with green backs with my amp but i like the sound of what i have so far..

Try a Black Shadow out, an MC90. It's like a more celestiony 12L.

no it's really like a flatter v30 with more headroom.

Thanks for the suggestion of the MC90. Its looks like a move in the right direction. I have checked other boards and sources and have decided to get a MC90, and an EV FORCE. If those don't do it the Weber Michigan seems like another likely choice.

Well I am waiting for my boss to go home and then I'm putting a Michigan 12 (ceramic) in my Mark III so I'll let you know in a couple hours what I think. :)

I also have a delta pro 12a on the way but it's probably not what you're wanting.

phyrexia said:
Well I am waiting for my boss to go home and then I'm putting a Michigan 12 (ceramic) in my Mark III so I'll let you know in a couple hours what I think. :)

I also have a delta pro 12a on the way but it's probably not what you're wanting.

If I was to go with the Michigan, I would go with the ceramic too. I know it is rated at 60 watts (conservatively) but don't see that being a problem for me. After several alnico speakers, including JBLs and a Vox Blue, I found that I prefer ceramics for what I do. I will look forward to hearing how the Michigan works for you.

Boogafunk said:
let me know how that delta pro compares to the ev in your thiele.

I had one of each in a pair of thieles and did a tone test with them. The Eminence has a faster rolloff in the high frequencies, but it was not a bad thing. Some people claim to not like the EV because of brittle highs. The low frequencies were pretty much the same. The EV seemed to have a bit more SPL, maybe because of the extended high frequency range :?: .
Just my opinion though. The Eminence is a great speaker for the money, for sure.

Latest posts

Back