Different Speakers For 5:50? Recommendations?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VCuomo

Reaction score
Has anyone tried putting different speakers in their Express 5:50 2x12?

Any recommendations (I play classic and current rock, and some blues)?

Thanks!

Nope but I often play my 5:50 thru a 2x12 closed custom cab with Celestion V30's.
I prefer the V30's to the black shadows, especially if you're mainly a rock/blues player.
They give a smoother, harder & fuller tone IMHO.

I tried an Eminence Tonker in mine and found it to be louder and more articulate. It was also less smooth, brighter and a tad nasal sounding.
I like the stock speaker.

I have the V30 in mine and I just got an Avatar 2 x 12 with Helltone 60's in it. I think it sounds great but never did hear it with the C90 in it, the shop where I bought it orders 'em with the V30's cause they feel they sound better.

tried a green back(not good at all, to much mush, over powered), V30( sounded like the stk c90 - not a bad thing IMHO), and Gh12- lost some midrange bite, blues, mode suffered the most) I settled on a Red fang and it was perfect, loud clear nice mid range). Still the stk C90 is really nice. I liked the midrange better with the red fang so I kept it in there. Funny thing is, I'm a celestion guy but, really liked the red fang in the express. I hated the Red fang in my Marshall 18 watt but loved it in the mesa. IMHO

With a 2x12, I would suggest that you not give your "final answer" until you have a chance to try Tone Tubbys. They cost a bit more, but there is a reason why they keep selling...... nothing against Eminence, I like them a lot better than Celestions, even though the Black Shadows are nice.

But the Tubby's (cone made of hemp paper) have something the others cant do. Same with the Cannabis Rex (paper cone impregnated with hemp fiber). That hemp paper just does something cool to the tone.......

I will NEVER use an Eminence, they sounded bad in the Line 6 Flextone 1, and TERRIBLE in the Fender hot rod Deluxe/Deville, that fender is very MID heavy and Harsh, Ice picks glassy highs that stabb you, they jump out, a Mid that sounds like a half open wah and a woolly booming low end. I don't know how much is the amp, and how much is the speaker, but it has put me off Eminence.

The only speaker I would try instead of the MC90's-which are great speakers I think, are the EVM12L.
I don't like any other Celestions from what I have heard apart from the CL80, but I think apart from the EV, the MC90 is the best speaker available.

I just installed two Cannabis Rex speakers and they turned a great amp into an outstanding amp. They got rid id of all of the weird mids I couldnt dial out while retaining all of the desirable ones. The bass is way more bold and puchy. The highs are now way more detailed but smooth as butter (zero icepick). Even the reverb sounds clearer and more 3 dimensional. And they arent even broken in yet. They honestly sound 10 times better than the stock Celestions. Hemp cones do something to sound other speakers just cant do.Plus they are **** near indestructable. I've played around with so many speakers in so many amps and I always come back to these. They make amps sound so much warmer and smoother. I also changed the phase inverter to a 12AT7 ( way better) and V2 (gain stage 1) to a high quality 12AY7 (phenominal improvement).

Similar, but I think the Tubbys are going to be a bit brighter and stiffer, they are probably meant to take a bit more punishment than the CRex. Still, very similar. The Tubbys are more comfortable in the mids and low mids, CRex is more at ease with highs and lows.......but the Tubby changes more as it breaks in. The CRex wont change as much over time.

Latest posts

Back