difference in settings between a strat and prs

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeppman

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just got a prs mccarty the other week. Anyone have any input on how I should adjust my mark iv settings to get the most out of the humbucker pickups, as compared to how I had my settings with my strat single coils?

I'm looking for something thick and creamy, santana like. I don't really play anything heavy, so i'm just looking for a smooth overdrive.

Thanks!

You may want to post this at the Guitar forum on this board,you'll get more responses there.Also give a little more info as to what you are looking to get out of the axe and what you are playing thru.You got two totally different animals there,single coil vs. humbuckers.If you want info on the PRS try The Forums@Birds And Moons.com, a good site about PRS.

Hey thanks stokes... Is there a way I can request this moved to the guitar section?

Oh, and about birds and moons... You're right, a lot of good stuff there, but you need a email address that isn't a @yahoo.com, or @gmail.com... i guess one that you have to pay for. I never understood that... but I'm not about to go buy an email address just to post there when yahoo, hotmail and gmail are fine.

I think there is away to move the post but I dont know how.Just post your question over there.wasnt aware of the email situation at Birds and Moons.

Hey guys... i forgot to mention that i'm playing through a mark iv before. I also added more details on the tone i'm looking for. Look above for my edit. Thanks!

I see you are not getting any answers.I dont have a MKIV but on my MKII when using single coils I have to increase the gain in my lead channel to get a nice creamy sustain as opposed to my PRS with HFS pickup in the bridge and vintage bass in the neck position.I know the MKIV is more complicated to dial in,but if you were getting a good tone out of your single coils I would suggest lowering the gain in your lead and maybe lowering the master on your clean channel.Your humbuckers are much more powerful than the single coils so the buckers are going to hit the front of your amp a lot harder creating much more gain.Hope this helps.

go to santana's official website. there are pics of his personal rig. you can see his settings on the pics. he plays mark 1's.

Hey thanks guys.

Would it make sense to add more mids or less? What about bass?

I find it better to keep the bass low at around 2,any higher and it tends to get too boomy and muddy.Mids can go a little higher-5 or 6.

zeppman said:
Hey guys,

Just got a prs mccarty the other week. Anyone have any input on how I should adjust my mark iv settings to get the most out of the humbucker pickups, as compared to how I had my settings with my strat single coils?

I'm looking for something thick and creamy, santana like. I don't really play anything heavy, so i'm just looking for a smooth overdrive.

Thanks!

Just trust your ears and get to tweaking . Setting your amp is just a process of elimination .

Yeah, I was doing a lot of that yesterday. The problem was, after a period of time, I find that it is hard to find what sounds good, and what doesn't.

I did find that I kept the gain on ch1 and ch2 pushed in, and the presence knobs on ch 2 and 3 pushed in.

I was just hoping that there was another prs player out there with a mark who could share his settings. Otherwise I will keep tweaking, and eventually (took nearly 6 months for my strat) i'll find settings that are awesome. 8)

Back