difference between single and dual recto

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-BOOGIE_MAN-

Reaction score
What's the difference between single and dual recto?
i know the dual has got extra tubes and all that, but what about tone-wise; are they the same??

first of all the dual has got both silicon diodes and tube rectifier, while the single has got only silicon diodes: tube rectification is less "ideally" working and will introduce more sag into your tone. Then 100 watts vs. 50 watts means more headroom and clean power with the dual. I'm sure someone else will give you more details

The new Duals have 3 channels and a solo function, the singles are 2 channel. If you get a dual you can always pull 2 tubes and go to 50 watts. i have a Triple, I wish I had gotten another Dual instead.

the single recto is tighter than the dual. not so "flubby".easier to dial in.
I have a rectoverb and a Roadster. I used to own a dual recto but never became a friend of it.

Greetings, my first post on this board. A quick thanks for the info I have gotten from this site so far as a new mesa boogie user. I have been converted from Marshall, which I considered to be an essential evil for many years.

With that said....

JW123 said:
The new Duals have 3 channels and a solo function, the singles are 2 channel. If you get a dual you can always pull 2 tubes and go to 50 watts. i have a Triple, I wish I had gotten another Dual instead.

I just picked up a 2ch dual recto a few weeks ago and I am loving it. I dont even use my preamp anymore.

I pulled the 2 middle 6L6's and it sounds even better at 50 watt than it did at 100. This thing smokes.

I have now officially retired my JCM 800, or rather, I only use it as a 2x12 cab with my dual rectifier driving it.....my practice rig @ home.

I would strongly suggest getting the dual vs the single. I played both and the silicon diode just doesnt cut it for me. I would rather just dial it in a bit and go all tube.

http://from-ohio.us/pics/mesa_marshall.jpg

Back