Difference between Custom 90 and Vintage 30 speakers?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueBones

Reaction score
Just saw on the Mesa site that they're ALL "Black Shadow" speakers. Did not know that.

So what are the tonal/performance differences between these two? My LSS has a C-90 in it.

I'm not sure and you may have to do a search on this board, someone said a C90 is basically design of a Celestion G80. And if I recall a Celestion G80 was something like Celestion's answer to American sounding speakes e.g. Jensens but handles more wattage.

O-kay, I'm just a bit spectulating so my statement are not etch in stone and its more of my opinion or what I heard. :?

I usually will post my reference when I state something but in this case I'm not sure where I got the source.

A friend of mine has an LSS. He bought a matching 1x12 cab with a vintage 30 in it. He said that the vintage 30 is a bit warmer.

Brewski said:
A friend of mine has an LSS. He bought a matching 1x12 cab with a vintage 30 in it. He said that the vintage 30 is a bit warmer.

I feel the exact opposite of how your friend feels.

I find the V30 to be bright and harsh.

I find the C90 to be smooth with a somewhat even frequency response.

The C90 is my favorite speaker right now. It sounds awesome in my Rectoverb combo!

I *almost* bought a LSS. I tried it out extensively, and finally A/B'd with my Mark III... I Loved the LSS, but kept my III...
I think the vin30 would be a great speaker for this amp, and I was planning on ordering a 2-12 version with 2 vin30's....
I think the upper mid quality of the vin30 would match the voicing of the amp. The C90, although great, seemed a little too thich for this amp. The slightly brighter vin30 would make the pushed EL84 tone a little more throaty...
Just my opinion, but I was REALLY close to paying big bucks for this custom combo......I decided to save a few bucks and look for a Maverick 2-12. That would serve my purpose just fine. I'll just be missing the great reverb of the LSS, but that's about all.....Plus, the Maverick will get 2 vin30's for sure....
ax. :twisted:

Hey Seajay,

I have a Vintage 30 and G12H30 combo in a 2x12 cab. Together, they sound smoother than my single C90. But, that's not a fair comparison with a single Vintage 30 and a single C90, so I didn't bring it up.

I'd bet that my friend was using his 1x12 cab along with the C90 in his LSS, which created a warmer all around sound for him.

seajay said:
Brewski said:

I find the V30 to be bright and harsh.

I find the C90 to be smooth with a somewhat even frequency response.

The C90 is my favorite speaker right now. It sounds awesome in my Rectoverb combo!

Okay, I'm confused now. :eek:)

The LSS could use some more brightness and sizzle in channel 2 in my opinion, but I'm not sure which speaker is brighter.

Sorry for confusion BlueBones. I did some checking. By itself, the Vintage 30 will be brighter with more mid's. Take a look at the frequency charts on the Celestion site and the charts seem to support that. I was comparing apples and oranges when I piped up. As I said before, I made an unfair comparison by putting a single C90 against a 2x12 cab.

Axwielding1 and Seajay are right.

Latest posts

Back