Difference betwee Black Shadow and EVM

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bshizzle

Reaction score
When I first got my Mark IV I thought the EVM WAS the black shadow. Now I have learned that they are two different speakers. My Mark IV has the black shadow in it. So what are the differences?

Mesa has been putting Black Shadow stickers on speakers for decades.
It does not mean anything in regard to what speaker is in the amp.
Look at the back of the speaker and see if it says EV-12L, C-90, V-30 etc.
If you look at an EV, it is huge with a cast aluminum basket. The magnet is as big as a persons head and there is a 1 inch hole in the center of the back. It's pretty unmistakable. The other speaker brands will have thinner black steel baskets and much smaller magnets. On the odd chance it is an Eminence MS-12, the Black Shadow sticker will have a Knight riding a horse.

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/mesa_1993_771611

The speaker on the left is the EV and the Center one is the C-90. Disregard the one on the right. It's a Jensen.

I didn't know this either until I picked up my second MkIII on the weekend. Now I have two EVM-12Ls (and the heaviest Avatar 1x12s on the planet.)

Fo extra info the EV is a 200 watt speaker, the MC-90 is a 90 watt speaker, and the Eminenece is a 50 watt Speaker (IIRC).

The tonal differences (to my ears) the EV is a brighter more full range speaker than the MC-90. The MC-90 has slightly rolled off highs and a touch more mids. Both with most Boogies have plenty of Bass though at high power output the EV will stay together longer.

Hope that helps.

My preference is the MC-90. To me the EV is too Bright but I play Teles so that might be part of it. :lol:

Yeah come to think of it there were at least two Eminence Black Shadows one was 150 with a big ol mag on it and the other a 50 watter. May even have been more versions. Black Shadow dosnt mean its anything other than it came from Mesa. Could be 4 different speaker brands and even more different wattages.

BTW What ever happened to the Phillmore?

The Eminince Vintage 50 did not have a vented core. It's easily identified from the MS-12 as is does not have a hole in the middle of the back and no Knight who says Ni (Icki, Icki, Icki, Icki, Patang, Neee Wom, zurm zurm, zurm).

There are also Mesa Black Shadow EV-12L's floating around with 400 Watt stickers on them.

Latest posts

Back