Diesel 2x10 bass cab

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BertG

Reaction score
Greeting earthlings
Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated,

One speaker, and the bullet tweet was blown.
Its electronic set up was simple.
No actual x-over just one capacitor on the tweet, and two on the switch that controlled the tweet.

I don't care too much about restoring it, I want to modernize it.
I want to know what x-over could I buy or build.
I will be pushing it with a m pulse 600.

parts express sells prewired passive crossovers. very easy to install/wire. i believe that there is one made by eminence that crosses at 3.5k. that's pretty much in the ball park for tens. the only question is do you want a true crossover or just a highpass on the tweet. either way i would wire up a true l-pad to adjust the tweeter instead of an on/off switch. oh and definately get a better tweeter. a selenium dt200 would be good crossed at 3.5k (or highpassed) or another option would be the selenium dt250 crossed at 1.2k. (with this option only use a true crossover) the second option would give you more mid punch and a slightly less sizzly high end. most bassists would probably prefer it. however if your style requires super amounts of high end sizzle with a touch of midrange scoop then the first option would be the one to go with.

with either of the two tweeters you will need an l-pad! they have enough sensitivity to compete with 3 times the number of speakers you will be pairing them with. if they are not turned down the end result will sound horrible.

Thanks, Fellow Bamian!
I have been checking out the selinium x-overs and been thinking about that route.

I luckily found two tweets that perfectly match the old one.
Goldwood....8 Ohm 300 w (NOS)
If anybody needs one I have a spare!
Replacing the speakers with 2 eminence gamma 8 ohm 300w (I already have them)
The old diesel cab was rated at 8 ohm, I can wire it where it remains that way. The easy way is to wire it like I dissasembled it, thus making the impedance load 4ohm.
There is not a id/serial# on this sucker anywhere except for the mesa booie emblem on the grill.

In case I have to go with the cheaper easy route...
On the non polar capacitor for the tweet.
I'm not an EE...
I have figured to run the tweet at 8 ohms, 300w
I will need a 9.9 uf 250v Non polar capcitor, that way I can pass the highs at 2000, and up.
Should I replace the capacitors on the switch?
I know this is an high/low/off switch for the tweet.
There are two capacitors on the switch.
I haven't pull it yet to have a look.

Expensive route...

I will be trying to get my local dealer to order me a player control.
I can't imagine what Mesa will be charging for that sucker.
I'm in no big hurry. I want a lighter alternative to my 6x10 for those one nighters, in the same note I don't want this project to cost me an arm an a leg.

BertG said:
The old diesel cab was rated at 8 ohm, I can wire it where it remains that way. The easy way is to wire it like I dissasembled it, thus making the impedance load 4ohm.

Heya Bert, good luck in your project!
Just curious as to how you're going to wire two 8 ohm speakers to 8 ohm total load?
I have two of the older diesel (8 ohm) 2x10 cabs, one has the EV speakers and the other has optional Eden speakers. The Edens are each stamped 16 ohm, and wired parallel, total 8 ohms.
The EVs only have numbers like a part number on them, no specs at all....but it's safe to say they are 16 ohms as well, since they're wired in parallel also.

I copied the following from the Avatar site:

Series
2 x 4 Ohm speaker = 8 Ohm load
2 x 8 Ohm speaker = 16 Ohm load
2 x 16 Ohm speaker = 32 Ohm load

Parallel
2 x 4 Ohm speaker = 2 Ohm load
2 x 8 Ohm speaker = 4 Ohm load
2 x 16 Ohm speaker = 8 Ohm load

i would be hesitant to use a goldwood tweeter by itself. their piezo's are good if used in arrays (several in a vertical line), but most of the stuff they make is seriously budget. something to think about.

i don't have any specs on the gamma's you intend to use but since you already own them they would be worth a shot.

:oops:
You are right on the ohm load Boogie funk. I don't know what I was thinking there.
Just found out you and I have a mutual friend.
Steve down in Biloxi...he said you two wre old buds.

RUT-RO
The goldwoods were NOS...We'll see how they do...
I see no identification on the tweets whatsoever.
I had an old friend id them for me.
I felt lucky that I found 2 of them.

:?
I'm doing some serious thinking on this, I'm going ahead with what I have together for the rebuild.
If I'm not happy with the tone, I will be buying what Mesa is putting in their new cabinets.

Thanks for everyones help here.

Here are the conversion pics.
The cabinet was reworked at one time.
I'm going back 4 ohm on it onstead of 8.
I don't like the speaker mounting screws...wood screws.
I may convert them to the internal type wood spiked nut.
Whatever they are called...LOL

l_d1bbdc1febe9dde4ffd5cf61bb1aef07.jpg

l_b4e01a7a379470de27ca97c5b2fd4fff.jpg

l_7882dd95f39c22a30b00dca5e6d375b4.jpg

l_e7ebd257b40f37100936197cc0e88e81.jpg

l_167c3fc8e01796efc67f33e8835ebcd8.jpg

l_e1b5068979453a37b070e20df78f8fd0.jpg

l_24f23b6c8b4b193403698041f1cfc4b5.jpg

l_c90a36737dd64887113a2a8a65a66837.jpg

l_ea62c36fee46be5e9d215181f47ad3c5.jpg

I'm waiting on the tweet to come in.
I can't stand waiting!

Yes, 4 ohm will work with those speakers.
You can send the "good" EV you took out to me...or actually, I'll take 'em both and recone the blown one!

;)

Look closely at the speakers I removed...
l_e7ebd257b40f37100936197cc0e88e81.jpg

They are eminence.They cabinet was previosly reworked, poorly rated speakers at that. I estimated them to be deltas 150 w and checked them with a meter...16 ohm
Do you still want them?

If they were ev's I would have had them recoiled/reconed.

No thanks, I was only funnin' you...but yer right, If I'd looked at the pic before I said that, I would have seen that they're not EVs...

Good luck with the project!

Thanks man, times tickin', and I'm waitin'.
Trying to be patient.
I still have the 6x10 set up for the gig we are playing, so its not imperitive that I have it going.

8)

:roll:

Finally got the correct capacitor for the tweet application.
Thanks Steve!!!
There were wood screws holding the speakers in place...I don't think so skippy.
I bought t nuts and 1" pan head screws to hold them in there tight.

This little sucker thumps.
The handles rattle when I really crank the amp, its above the volume I play at, so I'm not worried about it.

Great project, great tone, and easy to carry around!

Total cost of the project...
$203

Latest posts

Back