Did Mesa Discontinue 20/20 Power?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timbre Wolf

Reaction score
I just realized the stereo 20/20 power amp is no longer mentioned in Mesa/Boogie's product listings, and is sold out of their on-line store. Anyone know the back story on this?

- Thom

i believe so, but honestly i have only ever heard negative things about that amp. it seems like a good idea though, i think 40 watts would be perfect for smaller venues and i would love the lighter weight and less cost to retube compared to a 50/50 but for some reason no one that owns it actually likes it. i am not sure of the exact story or if there even is one though, i also would be curious...

sleewell said:
for some reason no one that owns it actually likes it
You're going to have to revise that impression.

I've had a 20/20 for years, and dearly enjoy it. Only one rack space portability, and more modest volume - works perfectly for current club conditions. There are many posts here where players state their satisfaction with the 20/20.

- Thom

Our 20' will take some value Timbre, good new ! :mrgreen:

I owned a 20/20, a 50/50, & a 295 and can easily say that the 20/20 was my least favorite of all the Mesa power amps. I think it's a matter of output tubes. EL84's are my least favorite of all output tubes for what I do.

So with Mesa getting rid of the 20/20, perhaps a new power amp will be released next year? :idea:

I mentioned this elsewhere, but if Mesa made a mono 50 watt power amp that ran a pair of 6L6s, I would have owned it for years by now. Bonus if it could also take 6V6s a la the Mark IV. Why must all rackmount tube power amps be stereo and/or super high power?

Whoopysnorp said:
I mentioned this elsewhere, but if Mesa made a mono 50 watt power amp that ran a pair of 6L6s, I would have owned it for years by now. Bonus if it could also take 6V6s a la the Mark IV. Why must all rackmount tube power amps be stereo and/or super high power?

Interesting idea. That sounds sort of like the Groove Tubes "Dual" amp format, though the Dual can be set up to run stereo, or as mono, 60-75 watts (depending on output tube choice). Of course, you could use the Mesa 50/50, and just run it in mono - which I'm sure you've already considered.

Personally, I like to use old '40s lower-voltage 6L6G for power, and would love a low-voltage stereo amp that runs 4x6L6G, at about 25 watts each side 8)

- Thom

Thom, I'm sure you knew I would say that, but build your own ! :wink:

Timbre Wolf said:
Whoopysnorp said:

Interesting idea. That sounds sort of like the Groove Tubes "Dual" amp format, though the Dual can be set up to run stereo, or as mono, 60-75 watts (depending on output tube choice). Of course, you could use the Mesa 50/50, and just run it in mono - which I'm sure you've already considered.

Personally, I like to use old '40s lower-voltage 6L6G for power, and would love a low-voltage stereo amp that runs 4x6L6G, at about 25 watts each side 8)

- Thom

guys, you might wanna check THIS
Modification of an old 50/50 to a single channel multi-mode (Class AB, SimulCl-Triode, SimulCl-Pentode).....

crane said:
Thom, I'm sure you knew I would say that, but build your own ! :wink:

Yes - I think I would rather start from scratch, though modding the old 50/50 is a fine idea too (thanks Triaxstasy). I might have time for a project like that... sometime after my 4 year old graduates from college :lol:

Cheers!

- T

Timbre Wolf said:

- Thom

Yeah, I used to have a Simul 395, and it was badass, but since I only ever turned one side of it on, the other side just represented dead weight from an extra transformer and more heat from an extra set of tubes. Probably wouldn't be as big of a deal on a smaller amp like the 50/50, but it's still a little annoying knowing that you've paid for and have to lug around this extra bit of hardware that you'll never use.

Whoopysnorp said:

Mesa had a mono rackmount power amp way back when, early 80's or so. As I recall, it looked like D-180 but with few knobs. The M-180.

Maybe you should hunt down a Simul-Satellite or Simul 60 and rackmount it?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-MESA-BOOGIE-SATELLITE-60-1-12--106763987-i2072543.gc

Can anyone recommend a low-wattage replacement for my triaxis?
Had the 2:90 and even at half power it was too much...
I've heard bad things about the marshall 20 watt in terms of durability...

Any thoughts on modding the 2:50 to half power via pentode/triode?

i owned a 20/20 for a over a decade and thought it was an excellent sounding amp.....el 84's have their own sound and if you dig that sound you will love the 20/20 and if you dont like el 84's you wont like the 20/20......simple as that.

I must recommend the Peavey Classic 50/50 power amp, which runs 8 EL84's which you can also bridge into 100w mono.

The tone is super-gnarly, colorful, rich, and dripping with juicy harmonics. I much preferred the Peavey to the Mesa 20/20 that I owned briefly. The downside to the Peavey is that it is two rack spaces and a bit heavier than the 20/20.

Also if you want something much more affordable and low-maintenance, the solid-state Tubeworks Mosvalve MV-962 sounds awesome with my Mesa preamps. It sounds like a cranked EL84 power section and adds a bit of a warm, compressed feel to your preamp if that's what you're looking for. The best part is that it gives you this warm tone at any volume and is great for bedroom practicing as well as live playing. Plenty loud!

Latest posts

Back