Did EV make 10" guitar speakers?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phyrexia

Reaction score
I feel like this question may have been asked before. But I can't find the answer.

electro voice electrovoice ten inch speaker 10" 10s 10l

Force series speakers are not EVM's neither are S's but they still sound decent.

Russ said:
Force series speakers are not EVM's neither are S's but they still sound decent.
Electro Voice did make an EVM-12S but IIRC it was a Hi/Fi woofer not a guitar speaker.

The EVM 12-S was used in some of the small self contained PA cabs. It was same specs as a 12L but with a shallow cone. In the 1992 EV price list both the 12L and 12S were produced in the series II (200watt) as well as the Proline (300watt)versions. The DL10X was used in the formidable Manifold Sound Reinforcement Cabs primarily as the upper bass/ low mid driver. The only 10inch guitar speaker produced (at that time) was the Force 10. I have heard the Force 10 in a couple old Fenders and they are for sure a marked improvement over the stock in both smoother sound and efficiency. The 12S was as said more of a general pupose speaker used in keyboard amps, and was the bass driver used in their stage monitor wedges which I have used and really liked. I've never heard one in a guitar amp but it certainly could be used in one for those playing Jazz and Country.

Ok, let me clarify for those that want to be technical here. S's aren't L's. EVM's in my mind are EVM-12L's in general. This includes EV branded, OEM speakers, and rebrands such as Black Shadows. I am full aware that S's had shallower cones. I am also aware that they were used as PA speakers as well. All I said was that the Force and S speakers sounded decent. If you want technical data, go to EV and read about power handling, efficiency, frequency response, etc.

I have seen two different frequency responses for the DL10X. One looks like a 12L, the other is like 100-2000hz.

I am thinking about buying a broken Subway Rocket and I don't know if I'd rebuild it or what. I don't really like the speakers in the express amps so I don't know if I'd like the one in this amp.

Hey, I've found some more information. http://192.112.63.14/Electrovoice3/files.nsf/Pages/EVM-10M/$file/evm10m-eds.pdf

The 10M is in the EVM line. Also there appears to be a 12B speaker.

I was sure I had seen a EVM 10 but I was going by an old price list from '92. I've thougt several times about building a combo cab for a Mk short head with 2x10's in it. What a little monster. There's just nothing compares to a 4x10 open back cab either. I was just thinking: Did Electrovoice intend those suffixes to possibly mean

L = lead guitar
S = sound reinforcement
M = Mid driver

For my money, because I LOVE the EV speakers, the closest thing I can find in a 10" is a JBL K-110. They are a cast frame speaker with Alnico magnet structure, clean sound, great frequency response, and a really wonderful JBL punch to them. There's a bunch of them around on eBay, and I got a pair of them reconed locally so they're as good as new!

I was gonna put one in my Express 5:25, but I sold it before I got around to it. Now I'm putting two of them in my soon-to-arrive Fender Vibrolux.
:D

phyrexia said:
I am thinking about buying a broken Subway Rocket and I don't know if I'd rebuild it or what.

Phyrexia, is it just a bad speaker in the rocket? How much is the guy asking for it? I just picked up a subway rocket with a Naylor speaker. I like the sound. They're about $100 compared to the mesa replacements which are around $50.

The first time I came across a subway rocket was at a gig. This guitar player had one and he let me jam on it after the show. I was amazed by what that little thing could do. When I saw one on craigslist, I had to grab it.

Years ago I had EV 10M's in a blackface Vibrolux. Sounded great but was on the heavy side. EV to my knowledge does not make the 10M's any more.

No 10" guitar speakers on a current price list. I know this.

Something shorted out very badly in the Subway, and it has a hole in the circuit board near the diodes in the power section (IIRC). It is very **** ed.

yes---they made the evm-10L--the 10" counter to the evm-12L--considered by many as the absolute cleanest speaker ever built

to whom it may concern--if you are looking at a 2x10 cab/combo--i have a suggestion--i have a vox cambridge 30 twin which originally had 2 10" blue alnicos made by celestion--only found in the cambridge's, to the best of my knowledge--one of the alnico's stopped working, and about a year ago i replaced it with a celestion 10" greenback, which is ceramic--the mix of an alnico and a ceramic sounds awsome to me---the "best of both worlds" so to speak--these might not be the best choice of an alnico/ceramic combination for the amp that you have because of the power of your amp, but my suggestion is about mixing the right wattage for your amp using 1 alnico and 1 ceramic--if the db's are close to equal, its worth a listen

Latest posts

Back