Dialing in the LSC

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samuelson

Reaction score
other than the settings given to us in the manual, anyone have any good settings they would like to share, regardless of the style of music or guitar used? I'd love to learn some new sounds from what is a limitless amp for a quality company:lol:

I like to run my Ch1 Gain at around 12:00 to get more of a "crunchy" or brown sound when I turn up the guit vol. Back off and it cleans up like a twin. I usually run it in 50watts, non tweed power, and I back off on the channel volume, and run the master at around 9-10 oclock

P.S. on the last post. As the night goes on, if the band starts to cook a little bit, I just adjust the master volume, or I may switch to the 100 watt setting for a little more clean headroom. When I first got the amp I would usually just run the gain real low, and the vol high, to get the twin like cleans, but I really like the ability to warm things up a bit with that little gain control. Quite amazing actually, What an amp, Enjoy.

I've posted a few settings to the listing linked to the home page, but let me offer my latest approach, which isn't really a setting.

I wanted to get a more classic sound out of Channel 2 - like Cream. I started to read the manual again (and again) and did a couple of things that are counter intuitive. I really wanted to get the earthy crunch sound.

So one thing I've realized is if you want the crunch, you have to turn down the gain. Especially on a Mesa where you have high gain to begin with. So I moved the gain from around 230 or 3pm and now have it around 1230.

The other change I made was to engage the Thicker switch. I didn't like it when I had the gain up, but with the gain lower, it adds a nice character to the sound. Since it lowers the treble frequency, I started to adjust the treble and mids. I have added a bit more of both and put the bass at around 1030. It isn't perfect, but you hit hte power chords of Sunshine of Your Love and it has that deep sound and still very tight.

After lowering the gain, I am getting a nicer distortion than I had before. I keep tweeking it down a little at t time and I am really enjoying the sonic territory it is openning up. It is letting the real nature of the LSC come out without being masked by too much gain.

Cool tip, cnumb44!

Tonight I was playing around with barely broken up ch. 2 w/ gain at 11 and guitar volume around 8. Sounds good if I lay into the strings you hear it start to break then as soon as the gtr volume hits 10 nice drive sound.

Thanks for the tips. I am amazed how sensitive the LSC is to small adjustments on the tone controls. The drive and gain controls and thick switch give all sorts off variations. I keep playing along with XM radio on the big stereo and tweaking the LSC to match tones with whatever song comes on. Sometimes, I find a tone and play it for a few hours, switching guitars along the way. Still learning what this can do. It's a well thought out and versatile amp.

I meant to add that with the Channel 2 gain lower and using the thicker switch, when I trip the Drive it gets a very tight overdrive that is raucous rock and roll! I have the drive dial set around 10 oclock - not a lot. I am getting very aware of a less is more for gain on Mesa's.

If I could have one addition to the LSC it would be to have a footswitch to engage the drive on channel 2.

Like I said in previous posts, I play along with XM Top Tracks (classic rock) on my texas special loaded Strat thru my LSC 2x12. I have been playing since 65, so most of the songs are like old friends to me. If I don't know I'll learn it before it's over. The fun part now is dialing in the tones on the LSC.
In the last half hour,
Steve Miller Fender clean
Marshall Tucker and Allmans Gibson/Marshall creamy
Pink Floyd light crunchy rythym
Led Zep didn't happen phone rang

relaxing way to spend an afternoon

Latest posts

Back