dialing in a tone in the mark4

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orion88

Reaction score
hey guys,

I have had my tone on my mark iv for a while, and I wanna start to get a new sound, similar to the awesome smoothness of the black album tone.

However, when i'm about to tweak the amp, I always end up going back to the original settings. It seems like its the only sound I like. Also, since i hear people saying that they use the lead eq for a solo tone, how would u make your lead channel (non eq) your rhythm channel? I can only seem to get a good rhythm tone with the eq, and never without it.

any tips for tweaking would be great, my settings on my lead channel are:

treb:8
gain: 8 pull
drive 8 pull
mid:7
bass: 3
presence: 2 pull
master: 3.5
output: 4

tweed
harmonics
triode
class a

EQ: 80 - top line
240- middle line
750-bottom line
2200-bottom line
6600-little below top line

I currently use a ts808 for a lead tone

Orion88,

I've always been a big supporter of finding your "own" sound. Even in cover bands that I've played in I don't try and make myself something I'm not. I will emulate effects such as chorus and delays, although to this day I won't use a wah wah (yea I know... sacrilidge). My core tone is always me though.

However, when i'm about to tweak the amp, I always end up going back to the original settings.
I believe you do this because you like the way you sound with those settings. If those settings don't inspire you anymore then searching for tonal answers is good, but if you enjoy your tone your time would be much more valuably spent becoming a more versed player.

This says the guy who wishes he would have praticed more when I was younger.

Chris... 8)

my settings:

(i have a nice metallica tone in my opinion)

Gain: 8 Pull
treble: 6/7
bass: 3
Mid: 4
Drive: 8 Pull
Presence: 6/7

Eq: Classic V, radical.

Pentode
Simul-Class
Harmonics
Full Power

To get a real Metallica sound you will need a parametric EQ. They used a
Aphex parametric eq with their amps for years. They didn´t really scoop the EQ on the amp that much, instead they used the parametric eq to shape the saound.

Funny you ask that, because I've owned two MKIII's and a .50 cal+ and the manuals say they've done the R&D to ensure that you get great tone without the EQ...yea right! What you get is a mid heavy Jack White tone, and you can't dial those mids out, at least I've never been able to. So the answer is no, In my experiance with the MK series amps, to get a good metal tone you need the EQ enabled. Or you could send it off to Voodoo amps and have them make it sound good without the EQ.

scottcrud said:
Funny you ask that, because I've owned two MKIII's and a .50 cal+ and the manuals say they've done the R&D to ensure that you get great tone without the EQ...yea right! What you get is a mid heavy Jack White tone, and you can't dial those mids out, at least I've never been able to. So the answer is no, In my experiance with the MK series amps, to get a good metal tone you need the EQ enabled. Or you could send it off to Voodoo amps and have them make it sound good without the EQ.

I find I always leave the EQ activated on my Mark IV.

I dont know anything about Voodoo Amps or what they modify.

Can you be more specific about what you mean/what they modified on yours?

I haven't had anything modded by Voodoo, but I know they mod just about every amp out there, as well as Boogies and I have asked Trace about making the MK amps sound good without the EQ and he said it could be done. Call him if you're interested. www.voodooamps.com

Wow, I don't know if I'd sacrifice my Mark IV like that without proof first. I am curious as to how they can mod it anyway you'd like it. When I got my Stiletto moded by Mesa themselves, I asked if they could do my Mark IV and they said NO. If Mesa doesn't do it, I am not sure now I'd feel with someone else doing it.

Back