deleted

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess no one responded so I'll give you my opinion.

How you describe what sound and specification you are looking for I would go with Mark I reissue. For me, tHe Mark III has too much bells and whistles. I played with my friend's, either his needed new tubes or something or is the way Mark III sounds like, the lead channel was way too sensitive. It distorts really quickly. I could be playing my Les Paul or my Strat, and to me the distortion sounds same, both guitar sounds the same.

BUt I'm someone that lay-off the preamp gain, and even when I layed-off the preamp gain, it still sound splatty, not a gradual break up like my Mark II.

I'm not ditching the Mark III, it is more versatily and more option to work with a rhythm channel with two modes, clean and distortion and a Lead Channel than Mark II or Mark I. But at the expense, it harder to set in my opinion.

What you describe what you are looking for, you don't need that saturated break up distortion like the Mark III, the Mark II could go from a mild break up all the way to a heavy Santana lead. I think that Santana lead is the setting the gains at its highest which you mentioned you probably won't be going that far.

But I would prefer something like a Celestion Vintage 30s or a half stack if you are going for Led Zep, AC / DC stuff ...

For Fender sound, I prefer the Mark I clean is much better than Mark III.

But for channel switching you need a A/B footswitch, well the originals you do.

So that's my vote => Mark I

Souelle,
Mark 1 RI, plain and simple. add a thiele cab, find the tubes to suit your ears and you have a monster.
forget all the extra push pull and eq and other junk.

Souelle,
I forgot to add, with the power lev els that are available, the use of el34's and 6v6's in lo power mode, and the ability to put a jumper cable in the fx loop to add extra gain, the Mk 1 is actually quite versitle and a tweakers delight. every time i sit down with mine, i find a new tone or a new slant on things that keeps me interested.
s

Hi Souelle
Your right,
It ultimately sounds like you, It is an amp that can be customised more than you realize.
I found a tube setup that i like, i changed out the speaker to what i liked and i have a tone that is all mine.

souelle said:
Hello, I have the possibility to buy a Mesa Boogie Mark I reissue or a Mark III with EQ/Reverb/Simulclass Blue Stripe.

I had a Mark IIC+ before and I was in love with that amp. I want an amp that will give me a little bit of that IIC kind of vibe, (I,m not talking about heavy metal sound, but about warm sound).

Channel switching is not a must for me, it's all about sound.

I have not played through a Mk 1, but I own a Mk III green stripe and recently picked up a woody Mk IIC+. I loved the Mk III but side by side with a IIC+ it does not have the bigness, warmth or harmonic richness that the IIC+ has.

I would hold out for a IIC+ myself. (now that I have eaten from the holy tree of the IIC+) :D

souelle:
Congratulation on the Mark II reissue.

I'm looking at your list of amps,
1969 Marshall 1959 100W Plexi
1972 Marshall 1987 50W
1967 Marshall JTM50 combo
1993 Fender Tone Master

I would have endorsed, emphaized, campaigned a Mark I reissue much more than Mark III. I like your taste of amps! :wink:

souelle said:
Hello, I have the possibility to buy a Mesa Boogie Mark I reissue or a Mark III with EQ/Reverb/Simulclass Blue Stripe.

What I'm looking for is an amp with a really nice Fender Black Face type of clean sound when I want it, and also a nice Hard Rock and Blues Crunch sound,(not metal), let's say Led Zeppelin, AC DC, ZZ Top... Can I get that type of sound from the Mark I, I'm not really into the "Santana" sound, and everytime I've found a MKI demo on the net, they try to sound like Santana...

And for the Mark III, does it have a nice fender clean, or the MKI is better ?
You want Fender, Santana, Metallica, John Petrucci ect... You got it (and more) with the Mark III period.

I recently bought a MKI reissue and I freaking love it...it's the best amp I've ever owned...OK, I haven't had that many amps, but whatever...as some have said, you're not going to get that metal crunch (I can't anyway), but you do have a surprising amount control over your crunch--between the master, volume 1 and volume 2, and tone controls it's surprising the variety of tones in there. I read somewhere that the placement of the tone controls in the gain structure has something to do with the particular sound of this amp compared to later MK Boogies...in any event congrats on getting yourself a great amp.

Tom

TPM:

So what's the story on your Studio .22? I'm glad you got a Mark I Reissue.

It would be cool if there was something like a Mark I Reissue with a switch from diode or tube rectifier. That would pretty much cover what I would want out of Fenders.

RR said:
TPM:

So what's the story on your Studio .22? I'm glad you got a Mark I Reissue.

It would be cool if there was something like a Mark I Reissue with a switch from diode or tube rectifier. That would pretty much cover what I would want out of Fenders.

Hey RR, how's it going? Well, there was a problem with my Studio Series, the volume kept dropping and then coming back (long story), so after asking questions on this board and then taking it Mesa Boogie in Hollywood two times (the guys there said the board was somewhat baked so it would be too risky to go in there and mess around), I finally had to sell it for next to nothing. ****, that amp really sounded great, but oh well...

Yeah, I agree about the diode/tube rec switch, but I have to tell you I am really, really loving this amp...it seems to do what I always wanted my Fenders to do...and I'm not knocking the Fenders, they're awesome, but I would always be thinking "Man, if I could just dial in a little overdrive, just a touch"...and now I've got an amp that can do that...as simple as it is, I could spend all day tweaking new sounds out of it...

Oh yeah, I put the chassis in the head cabinet you sent me, and with a little sanding, it fit perfect...but then I say the hardwood cabinet without a chassis and it was just criminal...so put the chassis back in. I'm saving the head cabinet for another Mark I Reissue if I can get the money together!

OK, take it easy!

TPM

Back