Delay pedals on an Express

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toon

Reaction score
Looking for advice on a good delay pedal for my Express 5:50? Anyone got any recommendations? Was looking at Boss DD-3 or Line 6 Echo Park. Views?

Also - is it best to put the delay at the end of the chain on my pedal board or is it better to plug into the effects loop at back of the amp on it's own (pedal board goes straight into input jack)?

For the cleanest delay sound, it should be placed after the distortion. So if you are using the amps distortion, it should be in the effects loop.

The Guyatone MD3 is a great, warm sounding digital delay pedal. Otherwise, the DD-3 is also good and I have heard good things about the Echo Park.

An inexpensive but great sounding delay is the Rocktron Short Timer. Won't give you long delays but if you are staying in the 500ma and under range it's very organic.

Put it in the effects loop.

The Echo Park is a killer delay for the $. Very flexible, stereo, tap tempo, great tone options (tape, digital or analog) and dead quiet. You've got to use a power supply because it devours batteries. The only drawback is if you ever drop it on your foot you'll never walk again - the sucka' is heavy!

I use a DD-6 through my 5:25. Works good. And +1 on the effects loop useage! Buy from somewhere that has a good return policy, guitar center etc.

Danelectro dan-echo...
organic, extremely flexible and i can get pretty cool theremin noises out of it, as well.

I use a Line DL4. I run it straight into the front of the 5:25 and have had great results. I sometimes use channel 2, but most of the time I push the clean channel with dirt pedals. It works nicely for me.

I use a Digitech Digidelay through the effects loop on my 5:50. Its pretty much the same thing as the Boss but with a few more options like Tape Delay and backwards delay.

The main setting i use though is the slow delay for things like Vai, Petrucci, Satch sounds and it does a great job. I bought it cause Guitarist Mag gave it 5/5 and a best buy badge thingy when it first came out. They said the other X-Series pedals were awfull but the delay is the best stomp delay you can get.

Anyway, i have had mine for 5 years now and it never go's wrong, I never get stuck finding sounds and it works with any amp.

I have used it with a Rectifier, a Laney GH and the Express. It works well with all of them

Back