Delay in front of a Mk III series boogie

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vrdyer

Reaction score
Has anyone tried a delay in front of a Mk III and had success? I was thinking of a Carbon Copy or a Memory Man????

I just sold my carbon copy, and have an analog man modded DMM...I own a IV and my roommate owns a III...as with any amp, it's fine using the delay in front as long as you aren't running a hot signal..so if you are just using the III for cleans it will be fine..if you add pretty much any amount of gain, you will NEED to use the loop (unless of course you run the blend / mix knob so low that you really just have the delay set as more of a tail, like for solos)..I would never put any delay out front of the amp unless you just didn't have an FX loop.

I have an Aqua Puss in my III's loop. That's the only place for it, IMO. If you put any delay in the front end of the amp, it will distort, and sound yucky to say the least. On another note, when you have other modulation pedals in the loop, where do you put the delay? In the beginning, or end of the chain? I'm thinking of either getting an EH Electric Mistress, or a TC SCF to handle flange/chorus sounds.

My loop seems useless for any delay pedal I have tried. Cuts highs and sucks tone. Basically the amp seems unfriendly to most pedals. I agree, it's all preamp. But, other amps are like that as well. Looking for alternatives that will work and have been tried.

vrdyer said:
My loop seems useless for any delay pedal I have tried. Cuts highs and sucks tone. Basically the amp seems unfriendly to most pedals. I agree, it's all preamp. But, other amps are like that as well. Looking for alternatives that will work and have been tried.

your amp is broken then...the III handles delays in the loop great, as well as most other pedals

I have a TC Nova Delay in the loop and it's pretty sweet. Nice and transparent as well.

~Nep~

If you use a delay that isn't line level (+4) in the loop it could sound weak or not as expected. The Carbon Cody is instrument level as are most Boss delays
The TC Nova Repeater or Delay or the Eventide Timefactor have line level options. That makes a huge difference.

I absolutely love my Carbon Copy with my Mark III (in the loop of course). It's true bypass, and sounds so warm and smooth! Perfect for cleans and leads. I'll never use a digital delay again, analog all the way baby!

+1 edgecrisher. My CC sounds great in the loop, too. Recently added an Eventide Pitch Factor behind the CC and that may have helped boost the signal a bit. Putting the CC in front yields a drastically different effect than in the loop and not one that I liked.

Depending on the pedal, it may or may not like the line level signal from the loop. Screw pedals, get a good rack unit.

Back