Decisions, Decisions....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigMesa

Reaction score
Ok so I play in a southern rock/metal band. I use a good mixture of cleans and distortion but far more distortion is used. I love a thick distortion (think older Metallica) but I also like a raw distortion too. I am debating on selling my 3 channel dual rectifier and buying a Mark IV. I have not personally played thorugh a Mark IV but it gets very high praise. I would not be able to play through one either since I would have to buy it off eBay or from here. Can the Mark IV deliver good cleans? How much more/less versatile is it in comparison to the DR? What do you think are the pros and cons between the two?

Discuss!

metallica actually used to use the Mark4 in the studio sometimes in the old days, if that's any indication. They used it for both leads and rhythm. Kirk uses his Racktifier for leads almost exclusively. In their newer stuff, james uses a recto sometimes to practice, but recording is the Diezel.

The mark4 has better cleans than the recto, also. The mark4 will not do the Recto huge bottom heavy sound, though. If you are really good with EQ, you might be able to make the recto sound like a mark amp.

Elpelotero said:
metallica actually used to use the Mark4 in the studio sometimes in the old days, if that's any indication. They used it for both leads and rhythm. Kirk uses his Racktifier for leads almost exclusively. In their newer stuff, james uses a recto sometimes to practice, but recording is the Diezel.

The mark4 has better cleans than the recto, also. The mark4 will not do the Recto huge bottom heavy sound, though. If you are really good with EQ, you might be able to make the recto sound like a mark amp.

+1 to this, also experiment with a tubescreamer with the tone up, gets sort of close to a MkIV clarity wise.

Latest posts

Back