Decision...Help... New 2 fifty vs 2 ninety older model

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diego10

Reaction score
Im having the opprtunity to get one of this two... finally.

which one would you recomend in terms of sound, reliability, etc?

bye

I had an old 50/50 and it was awesome. Great bass response. Its a fabulous 6L6 power amp.

I've never tried a 2:50, but the advantage with those is that you can use EL34's in them. That's all I can tell you about the 2:50.

I have the exact two amps you're talking about in my rack--old blue LED 2:90 and the new silver knob 2:50.

It may seem obvious, but just one side of the 2:90 is incredibly loud. The headroom is awesome if you plan on using the deep switch, or just tune low. My impressions are that it has a bit of a mid spike because of the simulclass--similar to the Mark IV maybe--so it may match well with the Studio preamp.

The 2:50 on the other hand is cool because of switchable bias. To me, this one sounds exactly like the power section out of rectifier. Might be a bit brighter too.

Also, if weight is of any concern, the 2:90 weighs almost as much as a whole head.

diego10 said:
Im having the opprtunity to get one of this two... finally.

which one would you recomend in terms of sound, reliability, etc?

bye

What preamp are you going to be using it with? If the TriAxis then the answer is a 2:90 no questions asked.

Back