Death magnetic and Mark amps????

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aart

Reaction score
no or almost no marks. Krank, VH4, recto(kirk), triaxis(kirk) and maybe a little bit of randall(kirk) and IIC+(james). TO be honest, I don't think the guitars sounds are great, they aren't bad either though. Just ok.

The VH4 that Aart mentions is a Diezel. And I agree that their new sound isn't all that great. They should stick to boogies ;) I guess they're just trying to change things up...

The Boogie was a great amp before Metallica played them, and will continue to be such after they are done with them. I personally don't care for the C+ being labeled as the "Metallica or Dream Theater" amp. It can do SO MUCH MORE!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

They just cannot get it right no matter what they do, huh?

I am certainly not a Metallica fanboy, but everyone in the world cried when they pierced their tongues and started trying to be blues metal fusion.

They finally release an album that doesn't make me run to the shitter with my hands over my mouth and the bashing still continues.

It's a good album. It is NOT Master of Puppets, but it is a good album.

And as for tone - have you ever heard any METAL album that had splendid tone? It is METAL, not Texas blues. The tone isn't bad, it isn't good. It is the tone they chose for what they wanted to do.

It's easy to be an armchair critic but I am pretty sure that they could of released a classical album (oh wait, they did that already) or country western and you'd all still kick it.

jman7272 said:
And as for tone - have you ever heard any METAL album that had splendid tone? It is METAL, not Texas blues.
Yes, Master of Puppets ;)

While I definitely won't go out and buy it, since I've basically lost "faith" in them, I do agree that their songs have improved a bit. I suppose their riffs are just cooler than what they've been in more recent years, but that said, the song structures are probably worse than ever.

rabies said:
jman7272 said:
And as for tone - have you ever heard any METAL album that had splendid tone?

master of puppets

FNM - angel dust

AIC - facelift/dirt

Gojira - anything

Ministry - Filth pig

sepultura - arise

pantera - vulgar display of power

etc.....

I think you missed my point. That is like saying the Texas Chainsaw Massacre was a wonderful movie.

Metal isn't supposed to have beautiful tone. It is supposed to be raw and harsh. All given, there can be BAD metal tone, but this album is not an example of that.

Oops my bad on the Diezel reference. I don't think the album or the tone is that bad. The guitars sound pretty liquidy and tight. I've been able to get a pretty close sound with the Mark IV. The overall production is kinda bright and seems distorted in places but certainly a big improvement on the last record attempt. The thing is they're older now, they don't have the same energy they did when they were younger. Not that that means they're worse now, it's just you change with age. If you expect it to be something then all you notice are the places it falls short of that expectation. Take it for what it is, a solid metal album.

To each there own of course, if you don't like it you don't like it. I'm just saying don't shoot them because it's not 1987 anymore.

rabies, just out of curiosity, how old are you? You seem to have a hell of a lot of pent up aggression towards Boogie & Metallica and other random subjects with not much more to say on them other than empty statements and vulgarity.

I think the new album is pretty good, James has switched back to some pretty cool riff structures. In a lot of the songs, there are places where I would expect one thing, and something completely different comes out. The riffage is pretty tight as well. Lars is up to his same old tricks, but whatever, that's what Lars does. Him & James play off each other pretty well. I would say the album, in terms of riffing & song structure is the best thing since AJFA, and some people are saying that it's within the realm of AJFA. I think it will grow on a lot of people.

As for the guitar sound, I think it suffers a lot from the production. If you open any of the songs in a wave editor, the songs have been compressed SO HARD that they are actually digitally clipping. I still can't really believe that a band as big as Metallica and all their recording engineers would allow something like that to happen. That's a very, very, very amateurish mistake to make in the recording world. Something that bedroom recorders do, not something that huge rock bands with multi-million dollar recording studios do. I have a feeling that Rick Rubin and the mixer, Greg, are mostly to do with that fact. It leaves the guitars feeling dry and harsh, and well.. distorted, in a bad way.

Either way, I've been listening to it a lot, I'm diggin' it. I think maybe once you grow up a bit and realize how much effort it takes to even get one good song down, never mind multiple albums of good songs, you might ease up a bit with your criticism. Like someone said, it's easy to be an arm-chair critic. Walk the walk, then talk the talk, bro.

Ouch. rabies dismissed me. I'm lost now, what shall I do? :lol:

mrd said:
As for the guitar sound, I think it suffers a lot from the production. If you open any of the songs in a wave editor, the songs have been compressed SO HARD that they are actually digitally clipping. I still can't really believe that a band as big as Metallica and all their recording engineers would allow something like that to happen. That's a very, very, very amateurish mistake to make in the recording world. Something that bedroom recorders do, not something that huge rock bands with multi-million dollar recording studios do. I have a feeling that Rick Rubin and the mixer, Greg, are mostly to do with that fact. It leaves the guitars feeling dry and harsh, and well.. distorted, in a bad way.

A very good point, indeed. Poor production can ruin a good tone very quickly. As for which amps they use to get their tone, it doesn't phase me one bit. I didn't buy my MkI 20+ years ago to sound just like Santana. Actually it was the versatility of these amps that led me to them. METAL, Blues. Jazz, ...etc. It all in there :D .

lol. Rabies, are you saying that you aren't an armchair critic because you've done psychedelic drugs, or am I reading that wrong? :p

It's kinda weird, some of the tracks on DM clip a bit, some of them don't even come close. Like track 1 for the most part hangs around at -1db for the entire song, which is a pretty standard and safe way to mix/master. You could easily squeeze another 0.5db from this track with extremely minor and un-abrasive compression techniques. Track 5 has bits of clipping right in the beginning, but even then, the clipping only lasts for spurts of like 1 millisecond. In general, the clipping is pretty **** minor, but it is there. It's hard to say whether or not this kind of stuff would even be detectable by anyone other than an audiophile who knows what they are looking for. When I listen to the music right off the CD or with WAV file rips, it sounds pretty **** good, I'm using M-Audio studio monitors. Even with highest quality FLAC files, I can notice a difference when compared to the CD or WAV files.

However, the downside is that because of this minor clipping, I think that compressed file formats will become shittier sounding than they normally would. Read: 320kbps MP3s and mid to low-quality FLACs will further amplify the effects of the minor clipping that occurs on the CD.

If you think about it... the CD is already fucking SLAMMED to the absolute limit, and there is 1411kbps representing the data. What the hell do you think happens when you reduce that down to 320kbps or even a high-quality FLAC at around 900kbps? For MP3s that's less than a quarter of the original bit-rate and about 75% of the quality for FLACs. The more compressed the source is, the less room the MP3s and FLACs have to operate their compression schemes, and thus, the output file sounds like a piece of fuckin' ****.

I would say if you can't handle the sound of the album, just use the CD or WAV rips and invest in some fucking real speakers 8)

I notice clipping throughout the whole album. It sounds like the mix is reaching in the bag for chips. Start your way through the first track it's all over the place. I've heard it straight off the CD only and it sounds like it's punishing the speakers in a bad way on my headphones, in my car and in my buddy's car.

The compression scheme's of lossy audio encoders go through and remove masked frequencies which means if say there was a 3000Hz frequency going on and a 3090Hz tone a few dB quieter, it would remove that digitally encoded frequency. It's based on the way the brain makes sense of sound and the brain would not notice the 3090Hz tone as much as it would the 3000Hz tone. So if we remove the "masked" frequency and we maintain the fundamental, it should still sound like the original on paper. A great idea in theory but obviously we all know how thin and washy MP3's can sound. I've never found converting down has any effect on the noticeablity of "squashing" it just reduces the amount of frequencies being produced per second thus making it a smaller "kbps" depending on the quality selected.

I like the album. It's a pretty good metal album imo. The guitar tone and mix ain't the best, but **** that ****, the songs are great and james' voice is killer.

It's a good album imo. If you don't like it, I can understand, but it definately ain't a shitty cd.

Aart said:
I like the album. It's a pretty good metal album imo. The guitar tone and mix ain't the best, but f%&# that sh!t, the songs are great and james' voice is killer.

It's a good album imo. If you don't like it, I can understand, but it definately ain't a sh!t cd.
I too think that Death Magnetic is a great metal album. The guitar tone isn't that bad, I kinda of liked it. Its no Puppets, but i never expected it to be, no one should Puppets was 22 years ago.

I noticed the clipping... but aside from that minor nit, it is a great disc!! The one I've waited a long time for them to put out. We have all waited for them to get past all the BS and spend actual time writing again. I don't know what you guys are waiting for if you don't like it. Listen to it again. The tones are great, the songs are great, the production is great. It's funny that everyone bitches about whatever they do; slower, more basic riffs, shorter hair, bad production on St. Anger, no Marks, etc. I think some folks need to listen to Load/ReLoad again and THEN listen to Death Magnetic. It sounds pretty good if you do that.

I finally agree with Rabies on something! Alice In Chains is one of my all time favorite bands! We Die Young is awesome.

JOEY B. said:
The Boogie was a great amp before Metallica played them, and will continue to be such after they are done with them. I personally don't care for the C+ being labeled as the "Metallica or Dream Theater" amp. It can do SO MUCH MORE!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

I KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! REALLY!!!!!!!!!!!
I am so tired of people saying:
"if I buy a C and mod it to a +, can I then achieve the Metal/DR TONE?????"

You can get those F'ing tones out of a mark IV. Save your money!

What you pay for in a mark IIC+ (originals anyway) is the smooth sound, no matter what the knobs are set at. You honestly don't have to work for the tone w/ a C+. There are the extreme circumstances however. But honestly..don't buy an amp because your favorite "GUITAR HERO" is using it.

Oh yeah. As far as the Metallica album goes. If I told you my age, you old guys would tell me that I don't know ****. But I have to say..I have been a long time listener and will still continue to be, because deep down inside those guys can do no wrong in my eyes.
BUT...I think this album is "too little, too late". Nice way to leave your loyal fans waiting for 15+ years to finally get a half-assed album together. Here's an idea - let's put Rick Rubin's name on it and let it sell itself, and while we are at it recruit the most popular bass player in the business.
That is BULL. I liked it better when they were just being themselves. Black. LOAD. RELOAD. GARAGE INC. SYmphony thing. Were all great albums. And these are the ones everyone shits on. The Classics will never die (that is obvious and besides the point). I think what most attracted me to them as a fan was the fact that they were on a streak of recreating themselves, and not making the same album everytime. I liked that (and the tones, always the tones).
Death Magnetic is corporate ****, and I know we all bought it. Because thatt's what metallica fans do. WE BUY IT! Let's face it..they had you all going the whole time. Congratulations on back-tracking to save your Multi-billion dollar career. Because a million dollar one would be considered a failure at their status. Bring back Bob Rock. At least then the song mixess wouldn't have been so dry. Rubin tried way to hard and it's uncomfortable listening.
I am 24.

Latest posts

Back