Dealers can discount Mesa's ???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickc007

Reaction score
Stopped in my local store to check availibility on the new Express, and they had a Lonestar and F-50 that were like 20% off

was tempting, but I thought discounting Mesa's was not allowed.
Or have I been getting snowed ? (not that this would be the first time)

Hi, that was one of the blue tolex Lonestars correct? I think the Lonestar is still in production, just in black now. True?

F-series is no longer in production. The Express amps are definitely better amps for the low-end of the Boogie line.

The Lone Star has had a fantastic update, so moving out old versions of the amp will be needed to make room for the version you'll really want... more on that when I publish my NAMM review later this week unless others have already posted details around here.

Scott

simonich said:
Hi, that was one of the blue tolex Lonestars correct? I think the Lonestar is still in production, just in black now. True?

Stock may have been the blue tolex...this one is dark red alligator, black grille...kind of callin my name

really want to A/B with 5/50 or 5/25

There is a new version of the Lonestar for 2007. The new version has a new Class A 10 watt mode in addition to current the Class A/B 50 and 100 watt modes.
http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Lonestar/Lonestar.htm

So technically, the 2006 and earlier models are discontinued; this is probably why the dealer can discount the model on their showroom floor.

Chris... 8)

IMHO, this new added feature really puts the LSC head and shoulders above the LSS.... 8)

JAZZGEAR said:
IMHO, this new added feature really puts the LSC head and shoulders above the LSS.... 8)

I completely agree. IMO the LSS has 1 feature above the LSC and that is the low wattage output and now it has that. The EL vs 6L is a preference and not a feature IMO.

I bought the Lonestar Special for the clean, but was looking at the Lonestar as well when I made my purchase. It really came down to the sound of the distortion for me. I didn't like the way the dirty channel sounded on the Lonestar - I couldn't get a good sound of it.

I felt the Special had lots more personality and bounciness.

BTW, did anyone else think the Blue Tolex on the LSC was UGLY? I tried to make the wife part of the purchase and she hated that color.

CoolRails said:
BTW, did anyone else think the Blue Tolex on the LSC was UGLY? I tried to make the wife part of the purchase and she hated that color.

No kidding! the blue tolex matched with the silver grill was pathetic.

I always thought the blue and silver was a Dallas Cowboys thing maybe. I believe the original maketing angle was that the Lonestar was suppose to be all about the Texas sound.

Not sure what the Texas official colors are but I was not happy with the blue and silver either. That's why I went with a hardwood cab, and the fact that I am a complete sucker for hardwood cabs.

The Lonestar is much more than a Texas sound though by a long shot.

Chris... 8)

Troy said:
JAZZGEAR said:

The EL84s are why I chose the LSS. I love that sound!

Errr? Ever heard of Yellow Jackets? You could have both 6L6s & EL84s (YJ), or EL34s & EL84s,

In the 10 watt mode, and Yellow Jackets EL84s, you're in LSS country...

So I will re-state, the new added feature puts the LSC head and shoulders above the LSS. 8)

In fact, I heard that Mesa was going to make the LSC lower power option at 5 watts, but then raised it to 10....

Anyone wants to guess why? .....goodbye LSS? :wink:

JazzGear...........before I bought my first LSS I demo'd the LSC and found that I preferred the sound of class A (although there is some debate if it is true class A or not). I have been involved in the consumer electronics business for 35 years and in the world of high end hi-fi a class A design typically always sounds better than A/B especially in bottom end control and slam and if it's single ended to boot you are in real audio heaven as the sound is as good as it gets! I don't think class A in the guitar amplifier world is as audibly dramatic as in the hi-fi world but I certainly hear a difference which is why I chose the LSS over the LSC. I'm not too sure the LSS is going anywhere too soon..........my guess is that is has proven to be very successful for Boogie. I think it's great they offer so many variations of amplifiers............multitudes of sonic pallettes yet ya' still know it's a Boogie!

JAZZGEAR said:
[So I will re-state, the new added feature puts the LSC head and shoulders above the LSS. 8)

In fact, I heard that Mesa was going to make the LSC lower power option at 5 watts, but then raised it to 10....

Anyone wants to guess why? .....goodbye LSS? :wink:

My guess would be because the LSS, 5-25 and 5-50 are all 5 watt
and there are not 10 watt class A amps

Got the feeling your guess would be that it would end the LSS

I think the LSS is a different amp altogether, and I like it better
than the Classic. If I want Fender Twin tone, I turn on my Fender Twin

The F-30 and F-50 lived in the same lineup, and if the LSS goes away
it would be the 5-25 that would be the culprit, its a cheaper way to get the
5 watt class A

but the LSS is more amp, than the 5-25

The LSS is my favorite amp in the Mesa lineup, and the LSC is
not even in the top 5

but then I again, I have not hear the 10 what class A
and am Very interested in it....

All other variables aside, I won 't argue that the LSS has the more Bell Like tones -- or as some would say more articulate.

However, this is the real world and variables go into the buying decision...and the LSS for me just did not hold it's own in a loud stage setting, even when miked (as on stage the combo itself was my only monitor).

I am curious to try out the new LSC in 10 watt, Class A mode....

And if I had my choice between the LSC and Fender TRRI, it's the LSC by a mile :wink:

If al you';re after is for the most pristine clean, then you'd might as well go with a Roland JC 120 -- it's cleans are more pristine than the TRRI. But that amp is a one trick pony which cannot cut it live in a band mix w/o good miking and supplemental monitors.

Latest posts

Back