DC5 Rehouse

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markeebee

Reaction score
Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm on my second DC5 now. Sold the first, instantly regretted it, and bought another as soon as I could find one. The only problem I've had is that I like my amps to make a bit more of a physical statement on stage, you know?

So I decided to take the amp out of the combo cab, and build a headshell for it and find a speaker cab to suit. I've never done any form of woodworking before, or tolexing, or pretty much anything, so it was a bit of a self-challenge.

So, brief photo essay follows, apologies for number of photos etc. Here we go....

First up, here's the first DC5 I had, the second one was the same, except it was UK voltage so didn't have the external transformer. I haven't got a pic of the second one that I used as a donor for the project but, well, it's the same as this:

IMAG0403_zps6hny2qvf.jpg

Here's the cab I found. It's a 4x10 Laney. Quite unusual in that two of the speakers are in a closed back enclosure and the other two are left open. Best of both worlds. Came with Celestion GT10E-30 speakers, but I'll probably swap them out when I decide what to put in there :)

IMAG0439_zps1hldoki9.jpg

IMAG0441_zpsfxbslxiz.jpg

Then I chopped up an old desk that I had to make the basics of the headshell. All pretty much done on the fly with a chopsaw, a handheld router, a ruler and a handheld drill to make the holes for the dowels that hold it all together :)

IMAG0451_zpsvadvrocl.jpg

Here's the dodgy dowel holes:

IMAG0453_zpsqs5k3ih6.jpg

I made a ledge along the internal sides so that the amp won't dive to the bottom of the cab if the retaining bolts give way. Also makes it a lot lot easier to get the amp in and out:

IMAG0457_zpsl5kebyxe.jpg

Apologies for the preceding HUGE picture of a can of glue. Not even remotely interesting.

I ummed and ahhed about what colour scheme to go for, and I thought it would be nice to stick with something a bit traditional. Retro even.

So.......

Apologies again for the number of posts & pics, and also the shoddy quality of the photos. Camera phone is pants.

Anyways, thats about it. Took a weekend, and it was a whole load easier than I thought. Give it a go sometime.

Love and peas all,
Markeebee x

Latest posts

Back