DC5 Mesa Power Problem

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ocmesa

Reaction score
I have a DC 5 and about a month ago as I was playing at a low volume, the amp all of sudden turned off. I checked and one of the power tubes seemed to be dead. I replaced both 6l6 tubes and all 6 preamp tubes. When I powered the up, the amp would not turn on.

Is it possible that it's just a fuse problem? Are there any other areas anyone think could be the problem? I have never re-tubed an amp but it was a seamless job. I'm in Orange County California, does anyone know a good repair person?

Thanks in advance.

If you've replaced the power tubes, it probably wouldn't hurt to replace the fuse at this point.

Most of the time, this is the next logical step.
Occasionally, a tube will take out a Screen Resistor, but usually, it just blows the fuse.

Replace the fuse.
Turn the amp's power switch to ON.
Let the amp warm up a minute or 2.
Turn the amp off of Standby, but keep your hand on the switch.
If you see any smoke, turn the switch off quickly.
If you do not see any smoke and the amp comes back to life, then problem solved!

Thank you for the information, I did replace all the tubes and the fuse and lo and behold, the sucker powered up and now I have my amp back!

take care

Monsta-Tone said:
If you've replaced the power tubes, it probably wouldn't hurt to replace the fuse at this point.

Most of the time, this is the next logical step.
Occasionally, a tube will take out a Screen Resistor, but usually, it just blows the fuse.

Replace the fuse.
Turn the amp's power switch to ON.
Let the amp warm up a minute or 2.
Turn the amp off of Standby, but keep your hand on the switch.
If you see any smoke, turn the switch off quickly.
If you do not see any smoke and the amp comes back to life, then problem solved!

Back