DC5 does seem to be a little dark

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Monsta, haha, glad to see you were allowed to have another baby :D

How would you desribe the sound of the DCs after warming up the bias? Where do you set your bias?

I'm just curious if part of the DCs lead tone is due to crossover distortion. If you end up biasing the power tubes out of that zone, I wonder what characteristics the tone takes.

I've just been tweaking mine and i'm actually struggling to find a good tone out of the lead channel for chords in drop D. I really want a big meaty tone with plenty of gain but with clarity aswell. All i'm getting out of my SG is bass bass bass! It's so annoying though because i've got a great sound in standard tuning with my SG and in any tuning with my Burns.

I'd love to be able to use the rhythm channel for this but i need to be able to switch from clean to dirty so it'll have to be the lead channel.

Can anyone recommend anything here? I've tried turning down the bass but the amp loses its balls and then when i go back into standard it's all top end.

I love this amp - it's challenging but it pays off!

BTW totally off topic but i just put a triangle era big muff clone that i built myself in front of the lead channel for a slight gain boost. Christ....SUSTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIN!

"Shh, shh listen! Weeee!" "I can't hear anything..." "No but if it was plugged in..."

Try this simple trick.

Play in a room with your guitar amp setting on the floor, then lean it back so it points straight at one ear, then pick it up off the floor and put the amp so it is directly in front of your ear.

Try it and tell me the brightness differences you hear.

Dang good very bright speakers are - Eminence Wizards and also Celestion Golds!

Nomad said:
Dang good very bright speakers are - Eminence Wizards and also Celestion Golds!
I just put a Wizard in mine. It's staying!

blacklight_uk said:
It's so annoying though because i've got a great sound in standard tuning with my SG and in any tuning with my Burns.

Perhaps the SG is the culprit: pickups? wood?

Well the SG is a one piece mahogany with Gibson blade single coils. They're quite high output though, particularly the neck pickup which i tend to use most because i love it for cleans.

My DC-5 is the A version. It is way darker than my DC-10, which seems to have an almost identical preamp. In fact, some of the pages in the DC-10 schematic say DC5 at the top.

I didn't think about it when I 1st read the thread, because I didn't own the DC-5 at the time and had nothing to compare it to.

I'll have to look a little deeper in to the circuits.

I did notice that my McCarty is muddy on the DC-5. It is an abnormally dark guitar anyway, but sounded great on the LSS and DC-10.

My Custom 22 has Duncan pickups, a Custom 5 in the bridge and an Alnico II in the neck. It sounds fantastic.

Have you tried another amp next to it with your guitars? I bet it's the SG too.

I think it probably is the guitar. I used it through my Orange Tiny Terror when i had that as well and it always sounded very bassy, even through that! I'm using 10s at the moment, tried using 9s to twang it up a bit but it just sounded thin and i didn't like the feel for heavy rhythm playing.

I may look into a different neck pickup, perhaps something with a little more punch and a little less bass. The middle and neck blades sound great though!

blacklight_uk said:
I may look into a different neck pickup, perhaps something with a little more punch and a little less bass. The middle and neck blades sound great though!

That's an option. But remember that you can't fool physics. The neck pickup will naturally deliver more bass and less highs due to its position to the amplitude of the string.

Here is a good bright trick.

Try this.

Take a Telecaster made out of Swamp Ash, set the Pickup Selector to the Bridge, and plug it into a Dark Amp.

Then call me back with how that amp is ssoooooooooooooooo dark!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back