DC3 Takes A Massive Dive - Any ideas?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gotcha!

Actually these tubes are only a month old. I change power tubes about every 4 months weather they need it or not simply because of the fact that I do play so much.

I've got a Les Paul that I'm putting a new switch, input jack, pots and caps in, then I'll get back on the amp.

Thanks for the help and thanks for the link to geofex. As much time as I spend on the net and forums I can't believe that I've not heard of the site before. Looks like a great resource for tube amplifiers.

I get all of my power tubes from Bob at Eurotubes. His tubes carry a 6 month warranty against any defects. I've spent plenty of scratch with him over the last 2 years. I'm sure if there is a problem with one of those tubes he'll make it right. The hard part is pinpointing which one out of the quad is bad. I certainly don't want to put that same quad in my Orange o test and one cause a similar issue with that amp. I would be screwed.

Good. Use that warrantee. He will probably take the whole set back, and replace them. That relieves you of hunting for the bad one. Sometimes you will know right away which tube is bad by seeing it go off like a christmas tree with arcing. Other times they go as yours seems to have done with no visually apparent issue.

That tube debug page has saved me many times. R.G Keen knows his stuff. Good luck with your Boogie.

Well, it's been a few days and after some trial and error...it's off to the tech with the DC3

The pilot light stayed on, fuse still did not blow. I tried another quad of 84's and even new preamps but to no avail.

I wish I knew what those sooked resistors did. Nothing has worked. I still fear the output tranny may be the culprit. The red wire from the outpu tran comes up to the "red" labled solder connection between those six resisors.

I just wanted to thank everyone who tried to help.

I had a crackle-volume drop issue right after I bought my used DC-3 a few years ago. Even with no cord plugged in the amp would crackle. When playing the volume would just drop to 1/2 of what it was. The amp shop that I bought it from had it repaired and the tech said it was a resister that was known for causing issues on this amp. It's been working fine since and I forgot much of the actual details regarding the repair. The tech worked for Junkyard Guitars in Berkley MI. Maybe if all else fails you can get some advice from them.

My current DC-3 had faulty power tube sockets. I had the same ticking sound, and loss of volume.

I tried everything. Cleaning the sockets, replacing tubes, etc. Finally, I found a broken leg on one of them and replaced them all. No unwanted noises since then.

It is probably a good time for a check up anyway.

While the tech has it, it is a good idea to have him install a fan with an on/off switch (off for recording, on for practice). Mine has a fan from a Mark IV. This really helps the amp stay cool when playing for extended periods. These amps are renowned for getting HOTTTT!!

Another really good mod is a switch for Cathode Bias on the power tubes. It really makes the cleans warm and thick.

Latest posts

Back