DC3 speaker question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geenads

Reaction score
My DC3 combo speaker is blown. .. I'm still use the combo with the speaker disconnected and running the 8 ohm jack out to my theile or my open back C90. question is... will the C90 speaker drop into the DC combo? will it fit? I know they're both 12 in. speakers, but the magnet is bigger, screw holes appear a little different.. anybody else had success with other speakers other than the V30? It's just a pain in the *** to carry the combo and an extra cab to small gigs.

The stock speaker in those were an Eminence speaker - they use 8 screws to hold the speakers. The Celestions use 4 holes, but you can still install them into the cab with only 4 screws.

Check to make sure that the magnet for the C90 doesn't bump any of the tubes, and you should be good to go.

The original speaker for this amp is a Celestion Vintage 30--NOT an Eminence.

The C90 will work, but I have never tried to fit one in the small cab. I think it would be VERY tight.

Personally, I would try to get another Vintage 30 from Mesa, or have your V30 reconed by a reputable speaker shop.

I think the Vintage 30 is a better match for the 4xEL84 power section and for the overall tonality of this combo.

If you really want to wake up your DC-3, get a 112 EVM Theile cab, and stack your combo with the V30 on the Theile. The Theile will add tremendous punch and low end and projection. It's well worth the added weight and hassle. It's NEVER a hassle when you have great tone!!!

Right? Right! :lol:

Good luck.

Bill

In my Studio .22+, I have a Celestion 90 instead of the original Eminence 50. Being the Studio and the DC-3 very similar, you shouldn't find any problem sticking the C90 in the combo.
Regards

You could also try a Celestion Heritage 30 or a Mojotone BV30H, it will add a bit of bottom end to the tone.

The Thiele really kicks *** with a DC-3. I used an EV Thiele with mine for a while. Really makes a difference.

Latest posts

Back