DC-series/Mark-series' headphone/direct recording output?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LEVEL4

Reaction score
I just bought a used DC-3. Even with the treble, gain, and presence dimed, it's still not as "razor-ey" as a Mark IV, both using the same 'V' shape on the GEQ. Kinda "boxey" and flat. But, I just plugged some headphones into the headphone output and . . . WOW! Now, THAT's the mutherf*cking tone I've been looking for! A couple questions:

• I had assumed that you still needed a speaker load connected (does someone sell just an 8Ω impedence load "plug?"). But then I just read the PDF manual for the DC-3, and with the "speaker mute" switch set to mute, you don't need a load, only when it's "on."

• I notice the output pot still has an effect. Does this mean the signal is still going through the amp's power tubes? Are you benefiting from power tube saturation at all using this output or not?

• How do they attenuate the output signal so dramatically, yet actually retain MORE tone than when pumped through a traditional speaker cabinet? Why does the tone have so much more frequency range out of this output?

• Do I plug a 1/4" mono or balanced TRS into the recording output jack (I'm going into a TRS-input line mixer)? The manual doesn't specify whether the recording output jack is mono or TRS.

I have a DC-5 Combo which is very similar to the DC-3 in this aspect.

• I had assumed that you still needed a speaker load connected (does someone sell just an 8Ω impedence load "plug?"). But then I just read the PDF manual for the DC-3, and with the "speaker mute" switch set to mute, you don't need a load, only when it's "on."
Yes with the Speaker Mute set to mute you do not need a speaker load. But honestly I wouldn't unplug the speakers anyway (too much of a risk if the switch is set to Speaker On). Yes there is such thing as a "Load box / Speaker Simulator", but usually their just attenuators, but they can be used just to handle the speaker load.

• I notice the output pot still has an effect. Does this mean the signal is still going through the amp's power tubes? Are you benefiting from power tube saturation at all using this output or not?
No the signal is not going through the power tubes apparently. In the manual it states (This switch mutes all of the signal at the power section driver stage, removing the need for a speaker load.)

• How do they attenuate the output signal so dramatically, yet actually retain MORE tone than when pumped through a traditional speaker cabinet? Why does the tone have so much more frequency range out of this output?
For one the signals output is dramatically less because of the fact its not going through the power stage. The tone difference is mostly because of the speaker and cabinet, and also the powerstage and tubes etc.

• Do I plug a 1/4" mono or balanced TRS into the recording output jack (I'm going into a TRS-input line mixer)? The manual doesn't specify whether the recording output jack is mono or TRS.
Well I am not 100% on this question, but I would think that its a mono signal.

Alex

Thanks, Doug. So the recording output completely bypasses the power stage. Well, that makes sense. It's just like an FX send, with a low-power, solid-state, power amp circuit of some sort. Someone else said there's an op amp amplifier in the recording output stage. From looking at those schematics (not that I know beans about looking at schematics), I wonder what that "V3B" component is? Is that a valve or a transistor? Also, I wonder what that "5532" stuff is?

After doing some test recordings late last night, I realized that the DI output does need some work. Possibly a Palmer speaker emulator. I know one guy here put a 32-band EQ on the DI output, plus, a BBE Sonic Maximizer, but didn't mention using any Palmer-like devices. His recordings sound incredible.

Here's his gear description: "EMG-ZW pickups . . . Mesa Boogie DC-3 amp running the solid state through a 310 Sonic Maximizer and 32 channel eq - tubes through a 15" Celestion speaker." His DC-3 recordings are here:

http://www.myspace.com/sadistmotherfolkart

[WARNING: EXPLICIT LANGUAGE, ANTI-RELIGOUS THEMES]

Latest posts

Back