DC Loop Mod to Serial Anyone?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You're a freaking genius Mike!!!

I love it. I didn't realize how much of the mod effects like Chorus & Flange were being lost in the parallel loop!

I did away with the "Mix" knob altogether and put a Bias pot in it's place.

Now the Nova System is a definite keeper!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the infos guys. I had a difficult time understanding the loop on my Solo 50 head and this tread answered most of my questions.

Now I need to decide if I'm going to need to have the mod done or not.

I'm using a TC Electronic G-Major and so far I don't have much success making it sound the way I want.
The manual highly suggest plugging the unit in a serial loop. I don't want to alter my straight to amp sound, which is just perfect for me on the red channel. I found that anything I plug, in front or in the loop alter the quality of the sound even if it's in bypass mode.

Anyone have a G-Major with a Solo 50 that could give advices?

CarcPazu

The G Major is the reason that I started making all of my loops series! You have no idea how much you are missing out on with your delays!

It's entirely reversible, so if you don't like it, just put it back the way it was.

Ok, good to know!

I'm wondering if it's possible to have the mod done with a switch to change it at will...

Also anyone knows if this will void the Warranty? (if it's done by the repair center at the store where I bought the amp.)

Just a question concerning you settup, did you notice a tone lose when you are on the red channel modern on bypass, even if it's slight.

CarcPazu

I'm not sure about the warranty. I would ask the service center.
They put me in the 'Phase 1 Technician' category. Which means that there are not enough newer Mesa amps to make me a full fledged repair center, but I have access to parts, schematics, and tech support. It also (sadly) means that I am not listed on their website as a service center.
So far, this issue has not come up in my area yet.

As for the switch, your tech should be able to do this. It's really not a bad idea. He could replace the existing 'Mix' pot with a push-pull pot to turn it on and off. This way there are no new holes in your amp.

I noticed much less tone loss with the loop modified to Series than it had in Parallel.
One problem you may have with older amps is that all of the signal passes through the Send jack's switching mechanism. I have this problem on one of my amps. Basically, I haven't gotten around to replacing the jacks yet, so I have to run a patch cord in the loop if I'm not using it or the volume cuts in and out.

Other than that, it's one of the best things you can do for your amp if you use a G-Major.

I asked Mesa directly if modding my Rectoverb combo's loop would void the warranty (when I had one). Their exact words were, "as long as you don't mess anything up while you are in there it will not void the warranty". Cool! I've made sure to have a serial loop on all my boogies since getting a BOSS GT-8 setup using the 4CM. My RoV combo (modded loop), Stiletto (factory serial loop), and now the DC-3 (modded loop) all have sounded fantastic with the GT-8! I'm sure the G Major sounds even better, but I like my floor-based effects just fine thanks. :D

I just called around about the mod, and as soon as I say it's a Mesa, they don't want to do it. Everyone seems scared about those amps...
Except one, Mr Tube in Montreal. But he says he need a very clear diagram before and after diagram, or else he doesn't touch it.
So when I mentioned about the "push/pull" button to be able to set it to serial or parallel, he was even more clueless.

Anyone has done what I'm talking about by any chance? Having the diagram for this exact mod would be great. Or else I could do with the standard one.

CarcPazu

GreenManiac said:
I just called around about the mod, and as soon as I say it's a Mesa, they don't want to do it. Everyone seems scared about those amps...
Except one, Mr Tube in Montreal. But he says he need a very clear diagram before and after diagram, or else he doesn't touch it.
So when I mentioned about the "push/pull" button to be able to set it to serial or parallel, he was even more clueless.

Anyone has done what I'm talking about by any chance? Having the diagram for this exact mod would be great. Or else I could do with the standard one.

CarcPazu

I don't understand why anyone would have trouble working on a Mesa let along this very simple mod. I did it myself. Not the switch, just the mod to serial. At first I thought I wanted/needed the switch but after doing the mod I no longer thought that.

If you want to PM me your email I'll send you the diagram.

Don't worry about the push/pull. Once you hear this mod you'll want to keep it. If you can solder then you can do this mod yourself. It is very simple. But, if you are unsure of your soldering skills then leave it to a professional! If you get into your amp DON'T TOUCH THE BIG BLUE THINGS! They can kill you!

MusicManJP6 said:
Don't worry about the push/pull. Once you hear this mod you'll want to keep it. If you can solder then you can do this mod yourself. It is very simple. But, if you are unsure of your soldering skills then leave it to a professional!

My soldering skills are close to zero. I would never attempt this by myself.

MusicManJP6 said:
If you get into your amp DON'T TOUCH THE BIG BLUE THINGS! They can kill you!

mmh sound tempting. If one day i become suicidal, I'll try touching it.

Thanks for the infos guys!

CarcPazu

Hi all

I'm in the need of modifying my DC3 loop to serial to use it in a 4CM style with pedals and FX.
Can anybody be so kind to post a wiring diagram and a brief explanation of how to actually perform it?
I'm quite handy with soldering skills, so if as you wrote I can do it myself I'd be more than willing to try.

Thanx

Latest posts

Back