DC-5 vs Mark IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reilly

Reaction score
I currently have a Mark IV and love it! I saw a decent deal on a DC-5, I played a DC series once but dont remember exactly which one. My question is how close does the DC-5 sound to a MARK IV. My main channels i use are 1 and 3. Is the Gain structure similar? I like Prog Metal and rock (I like versatility in an amp as well, good cleans great leads)

I was think of using the DC for a backup/second amp

Thoughts?
Thanks!

The DC is definitely more Recto voiced. It's a great amp, but to me doesn't sound much like a Mark IV.

In my opinion, and I was under the impression that most people felt this way, the DC series is very similar to the Mark series in terms of voicing. The F series is MUCH more Recto like than the DC series is, but the DC series does sound more like a recto than a Mark does. I own a DC-5 combo and I think it would be a phenomenal backup, and that you may even want to use it in conjunction with your Mark at times.

DC_ForMe said:
In my opinion, and I was under the impression that most people felt this way, the DC series is very similar to the Mark series in terms of voicing. The F series is MUCH more Recto like than the DC series is, but the DC series does sound more like a recto than a Mark does. I own a DC-5 combo and I think it would be a phenomenal backup, and that you may even want to use it in conjunction with your Mark at times.

Not really unless you coax to. You can get plenty of mark like tones from the f-series also. The dc has a fake voicing thing in the front of the preamp and the tonestack at the end, just like rectos! None of the f, dc is pure mark or recto tones anyways.

I agree that the lead channel is voiced similar (not exact) to the Rectos.
The 1st channel is Mk all the way. (This is the channel I use with boost pedals) It is wired so each tone pot dominates the next one in line when turned past 5,(see manual for a better discription) like some of the MK (3or4 I'm not sure which if not both) series, the Rectos are not and neither are the F-Series.
The reason I'm stating this is because I was in the market for a M3 or MK4 but after playing a few (clean channels boosted with my fav OD's)
I realized I already have that tone platform at home. IMO There just was'nt enough of a difference to justify the purchase.

Clean channel in the f-series is exactly like the dc-series. That is as a signal path. Could it be voiced a bit differently? Sure but it can react the same if not better. Still boosting it is not at all the same as a finelly tuned mark series.

Latest posts

Back