DC-5 voltage question.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exdeath

Reaction score
If I'm using a US DC-5 in a country with 220-240v voltage (e.g: Singapore) do I just need a step-down transformer, or is there any additional stuff needed? Do I need to replace a fuse? I checked mine and it doesn't have a voltage switch or anything.

same here in the UK - does the dc5 have a voltage switch as standard on an export model? mine just 'says' 120v on the back - i called mesa with the serial number - they couldnt tell me but they suggested i go back with the transformer serial number and they may be able to help

Yeah, simply use a step down xformer. Make sure it's rated twice the amp's input power rating. No need to change fuse, as your amp is still working in 110. And make sure the xformer is properly grounded too.

trem said:
Yeah, simply use a step down xformer. Make sure it's rated twice the amp's input power rating. No need to change fuse, as your amp is still working in 110. And make sure the xformer is properly grounded too.

Would the input power rating be 50 watts? So a 100 watt transformer or more would be good, then?

No, that would be the output power rating, not the input. Check out my post here:
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=27247

Ah, gotcha. It says 2.5 A fuse and 120 v, so that'd be 600 watts then? That's gonna be pretty heavy.

If you have the money, consider getting a Mercury Magnetics power transformer. Should be around 300 USD plus shipping/tax/etc. Still cheaper than Boogie's replacement export transformer, which according to hearsay should be around 700 bucks mark. That's for a Mark IV btw, but should be similar for your case.

You can get Mercury transformers at www.tedweber.com for a little less.

That is definitely the way to go if you live anywhere beside the US. This way, you never forget anything, you just plug your amp in and go.

You could also run a thread in the Boogie Classifieds looking for one. Somebody may have one just laying around.

Here are the transformer codes:

DC-5
Domestic: 561054
Export: 561155

Mark IV
Domestic: 561140
Export: 561141

Don't know if you need these for Mercury, but you might.
FWIW: The Mark IV tranny may need new mounting holes, I do not know if it is physically larger than the DC's tranny, but I'm guessing so.

Aww shucks. I just checked MM's website and they don't have one for Mark IV. I sent an email, and they said they'll make one as soon as they can get their hands on the amp.

Maybe try this..
http://www.tubeampdoctor.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_46&products_id=98
Strange though. They listed the part number as 571137, while the correct number should be 561137 (old Mark IV). Anyone tried this?

What I'm actually looking to see if I could do would be to have a voltage switch installed so I could switch between 120/240v, since I travel around a fair bit. Any idea if this is possible? I heard Mesa used to do it on their old Mark amps.

That's the export transformer found only on older amps. The export transfomer on the newer ones doesn't have this feature. On these you gotta open up the amp and rewire.

Ah, ****. Would it be possible if I got a new transformer, though? Or just to not have the switch at all and be able to plug in anywhere? I've been looking at some Laney amps that just have a universal output marked '110v-240V' - how do they do that?

Back