DC-5 question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 9010

Reaction score
Here's a quote from Nomad from the classifieds thread for a DC-5 craigslist ad.

Nomad said:
Yeah everyone wants the later no LED model and this has no extras.
Being the owner of a DC-5--an early one with LEDs--and plastic switches, I'm dying to know what the difference is between the earlier and later ones. Can anyone fill me in? Nomad?

Sorry for the percived diss on your amp there isnt one.

Those amps sound fine.

There are folks out there that claim removing the LED's from the circuit makes it sound more open with a little more gain on tap (or something like that).

That is the only difference I know of.

The Plastic Switches far as I know dont give any problems. You usually see them with no LED'S and Metal Switches but I have seen em with LED's and Metal Switches.

For this general net opinion of these amps the LED versions usually go for less money and they are older amps as well. So the newer amps bring more untill they become vintage amps then the price will skyrocket.

I hope you dont think I think less of your amp. They are great amps. I'm looking for one myself to go with my Mark III.

No offense taken at all! I have a lot of gear that lots of people don't think too highly of. :lol: That difference seems such a minimal thing, and it's not like it's something that can't be modded.

I've been wondering about the different generations of these amps for a while, because all the examples I've seen lately have metal switches. I didn't even notice the LEDs not being there. It wasn't until I saw the pics on this site that I saw others like mine.

Thanks for the answer.

I have a late model DC-5. When shopping for one I did want the later model, not for any sonic/tone difference but because I like the idea of a footswitch for the EQ. And I like the newer style tolex. Where it really matters, sound and feel, I think all of them are great. Wouldn't mind seeing a reissue of these amps.

I own a metal switch one but had no idea there was any difference between mine and any other!

More gain?! I play post-rock and rarely go above 4 or 5. I find that with the channel and master both set to around 3 i'm at a decent practice level and have enough gain. I think the best sounds from this amp are from a middle gain setting and a higher master volume but i've never cranked it thus far :(

I took it up to 6 with the channel volume on 3 the other night at a gig and by the end of the set i was deaf. It was great though :D

There are two versions of the DC series, A and B. The letter is printed on the circuit board. Tonewise nothing was changed, but they made the reverb hang over when switching from lead to rhythm, vice versa. I got a schematic for this update from Mesa.

I don't care what anybody says. I have the LED model with metal switches and it kicks ***.

Other changes between the A & B are:
EQ controlled by the front Footswitch Jack
Different Power Supply for the LDR's in the switching circuit.
EQ is a bit more powerful in the B version.

All of this is so easy to fix that it isn't funny.
I have modded mine to have the following:
Adjustable Bias (this is a must, it really breathes life into the amp)
Cathode Bias/Adjustable Bias switch
EQ at the front footswitch jack
Replaced entire switching circuit and beefed up the power supply.
Increased the strenght of the EQ

If you can find an A version for a little less than the B, get it.

I'm not sure that the Power Transformer can handle it.

Someone here posted that you could, but just because it works today, does not mean that it will work 6 months from now. It might take out your power transformer, or it might take out something else.

The filament voltage (6.3 volts) needed for the EL's would be about 1 amp more than the amp is using right now.

I don't think that even Mesa can answer this question, but they might.

A good way around this is to add another small filament transformer for just the power tubes. I've been thinking about this for some time and just might take the plunge. I got my old DC-5 back last night and already have a DC-10, so it just might happen.

Do a search in the "Vintage Amps" forum for DC-5 tube swap. Ursinus just posted a similar question.

Hi dcboogie,

MonstaTone covered it all ...in his typical excellent manner.

But to add one point, as per a Mesa tech guy from the factory: the sans-LED DC5 has a bit more clean headroom in Ch1 than the LED version. Nothing to lose sleep or jones for the other over :)

Edward

:lol: That amp is so **** loud that I don't think you would notice if you weren't playing outside. :lol:

I'm actually thinking about using 6V6's in it. I have the 100 watt version too, so I would actually like to have a 20 watt version with EQ. The DC-2 only has a Contour and it only works on the Lead channel.

Ain't that the truth, man!

If you ever get to trying 6V6s, let me know what you think of it. I know you've got a DC10, but I'd be curious as to how it would alter my DC5s vocal character and dynamics (which I LOVE, but am barely cracking open the throttle on it even playing with a band). I already have a lovely old-ish Fender in 6V6s, so it's not like I'm trying to find a "vintage-y" chime. But I'd be curious about it in my DC5 nevertheless.

Also, I don't have a bias pot mod, but if I go 6V6, I would think that one could add a switch for the appropriate bias for either tubes sets, no? I'd love to hear your thoughts on this, Monsta. :)

Ed

Thanks for all the great info guys. I feel kinda sheepish :oops: that its taken me so long to learn more about my amps. As long as I've been able to dial in a few good sounds outta my amps ('76 Fender Deluxe, '65 Gibson Falcon, '65 Ampeg B-18 Portaflex), I've always just focused on chops. I'm just starting to dig in and learn more about'em. Just finished the updated Pittman book and currently reading Dave Hunter's Guitar Amp Handbook).

Despite the differences, I'm totally happy with my DC-5. Been a Strat guy for years, but I've just started putting it through its paces with an LP. Man, what a rippin' amp!

My DC5 has the LED's and metal toggles....which I thought was the earliest version? Awesome sounding amp that I'll never sell, kicks the crap out of my JCM800! I am curious about trying the 6V6's....Monsta-Tone.....do I just have a tech do a re-bias?

Thank you!

Greg

Our DC10s already have a heater transformer, so I bet this mod is attainable.

Monsta-Tone said:
I'm not sure that the Power Transformer can handle it.

Someone here posted that you could, but just because it works today, does not mean that it will work 6 months from now. It might take out your power transformer, or it might take out something else.

The filament voltage (6.3 volts) needed for the EL's would be about 1 amp more than the amp is using right now.

I don't think that even Mesa can answer this question, but they might.

A good way around this is to add another small filament transformer for just the power tubes. I've been thinking about this for some time and just might take the plunge. I got my old DC-5 back last night and already have a DC-10, so it just might happen.

Do a search in the "Vintage Amps" forum for DC-5 tube swap. Ursinus just posted a similar question.

Latest posts

Back