DC-5 Question (with pics) and shipping advice

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thurston

Reaction score
Hi all! First time poster here hoping to get some help.

I found a DC-5 combo on craigslist in another state and the guy is willing to ship it to me. IT has plastic rocker switches which I've never seen before. Is this a different version from the metal switch version?
8731701691.jpg

8731701690.jpg

8731701692.jpg

What do you all think about shipping through craigslist? He's leaving for new years tomorrow and will sell it to me for $600 with shipping included if I buy it today through paypal. This is one of the better deals I've seen on these amps lately and I've been looking. People are asking $700+ for the head alone.

His email address led me to his photography website, which looks legit, and I have his name, location and phone number. I'm going to ask him if he has an eBay account so I can check his rating there.

Plastic rockers and LED lights are indications that it is a DC-5A which is the first version of the amp. Mine is the same and sounds great. Auction looks legit and that is a fair price.

I know the second version is supposed to have a smoother reverb. One of the board members ...monsta tone ...knows all of the differences and I'm sure he will check this post. PM him because he can fill you in if you want to know all the differences between A and B versions

Sixstringpsycho said:
I know the second version is supposed to have a smoother reverb. One of the board members ...monsta tone ...knows all of the differences and I'm sure he will check this post. PM him because he can fill you in if you want to know all the differences between A and B versions

Thanks, but I couldn't find him. Is that the correct spelling of his name?

Edit: Nevermind, I found him, thanks again

In answer to your questions, Version A came in two versions, metal rockers (what I have) and plastic (what you posted in the pic). I can't remember which came first (perhaps we can compare serial numbers), but from what I understand they are identical amps.

Now Version B has more clean headroom ...that is straight from a Mesa tech I spoke with. I don't know about any differences in reverb.

FWIW, the difference between the two is subtle, but if you want a more spanky-clean tone from the Clean channel when cranked loudly, that's easier done on the B ...the A can do it, but runs out of headroom sooner. Which for me is a big plus since I never play spanky clean, and my "cleans" always have varying degrees of "light fur" around the edges to a bit more bluesy breakup ...where the A version flat-out excels. I LOVE my channel 1 as it is just so versatile. For more specifics/technical diffs, ask Andy ...he's got schems and has worked on these puppies :)

Edward

From and old post....

"A" versions will have:
- 5 position rotary dial on the back to assign the EQ
-a two button eq/reverb footswitch on the back
- a separate channel footswitch on the front
- The channel selector switch on the front of the amp was two position Rhy/Lead.

"B" Versions have:
- a metal flip switch on the back to assign the EQ
- A single Channel/EQ footswitch on the front
- a headphone jack on the back (where the old eq/reverb switch was)
- a three position channel switch on the front - Rhy/footswitch/lead

I've seen a couple of other minor DC variations from the above. Most notably some of the later DC's have a LED indicator above the output level knob (although I don't know what it does). Also some have plastic rocker style switches on the front and others have metal ones. I don't know when the change from one to the other occurred. I don't think it coincides directly with the A or B revs. (But I could be wrong)

It's my undestanding that an A can modded to have most of the B features if required. Although I don't see much point. I wouldn't mind having a reverb switch on my B. I'm just bummed that you can't switch out or assign the FX loop on either!

Back