DC-5 noise issue

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spot

Reaction score
Anyone have any input on how to get a DC-5 a little quieter when it's on the drive channel. At stage volume with the hot channel switched on and the guitar volume all the way off it really has an extra loud hum. It's not just my DC-5 because I have two and they are both loud.

Will a noisegate or hush pedal take care of this or is that too far up the signal chain. Any ideas?

Do you have any pedals running in front of the amp? My amp hums on the distortion channel when I'm using a power supply to power my pedals, but on battery it is totally quiet.

Does it hum with no guitar plugged in? If not, then the hush pedal would work as the last thing in the chain before the signal goes to the amp. If it does hum, maybe a noise gate in the loop (if it's serial loop) would work.

Called my amp tech and he said the noise is generated in the preamp section so by running a Hush pedal through the effects loop before it hits the power amp that should solve the problem....... I'll give it a try.

If you're considering a noise gate:

The ISP Decimator is supposed to be the most transparent product on the market today. There was a time that I was considering getting a noise gate. After doing research on just about all of them this seemed to be a good one. I "think" the "pedal version" street price is 119.00. Stick it in the loop and you should be all set.

isptechnologies.com

Just a suggestion.

I've got a Boss NS-2 on my pedal board so it gets used with all of my amps, including my DC-5. It works really great for me, no noise whatsoever regardless of which channel I leave on...or even if I leave on a distortion or OD pedal thru the drive channel.

The funny part is that I don't have the NS-2 in the amp's effects loop. I run my noisy pedals thru the loop in the NS-2...then my signal goes into my delay pedal...and then straight into the front end of my DC-5. I don't know how it hushes the noise in the amp, but it does. Same results with my Marshall TSL60 head. I don't understand it, but I'm glad it works.

Here's a picture of me and my rig...just found this site - oddly enough I was directed here from the Fender Forum:

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Reviews/CustTestimonials/DanLeduc/DanLeduc.htm

Latest posts

Back