DC-5 Combo with recto 2x12 and thiele

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eeviac

Reaction score
I just picked up a recto 2x12 closed back cab with v30's (8 ohm total in series) to run with my DC-5 Combo. I also have a 300w evm12 thiele which i really like. Ive not tried the combo with the 2x12 as im away from home until thursday but has anyone done similar with their dc-5's?

Is there a way to run the 2x12 and the thiele AND the combo speaker with the available speaker connections (effectively 4 speakers)? I assume that each external cab can be connected to the 4 ohm sockets and then the combo speaker to the 8 ohm? will this damage the amp etc? The recto cab has a 'parallel out' that allows you to daisy chain other cabs - would i need to use this?

the way im going i may convert the dc5 to a head - shame though as its a late model in pretty good condition

thanks in advance

eeviac said:
I just picked up a recto 2x12 closed back cab with v30's (8 ohm total in series) to run with my DC-5 Combo. I also have a 300w evm12 thiele which i really like. Ive not tried the combo with the 2x12 as im away from home until thursday but has anyone done similar with their dc-5's?

Is there a way to run the 2x12 and the thiele AND the combo speaker with the available speaker connections (effectively 4 speakers)? I assume that each external cab can be connected to the 4 ohm sockets and then the combo speaker to the 8 ohm? will this damage the amp etc? The recto cab has a 'parallel out' that allows you to daisy chain other cabs - would i need to use this?

the way im going i may convert the dc5 to a head - shame though as its a late model in pretty good condition

thanks in advance

Closest I can come to your setup is my two Recto 1x12s... OK, so that's not too close!

The only way I would hook up all those cabs is by using the parallel out on the recto cab connected to the thiele. So your combo would be hooked up to the 4 ohm, and then the other 4 ohm out would go to your recto cab's input and then from the parallel out to the thiele cab. I'm pretty sure that's the safest way to do it. Two 8 ohm speaker cabs in parallel creates a 4 ohm load. The combo speaker will be fine to run at 4 ohms. The main thing is to either use the 8 ohm ONLY or the one or both of the 4 ohms ONLY. Just don't use one 8 ohm speaker out and the 4 ohm speaker out(s) at the same time. Make sense?

Thanks for the advice dude

The parallel out to the thiele works well. I prefer the sound without the combo for some reason. The combination of the recto cab and the thiele make for a thunderous bottom end!

eeviac said:
Thanks for the advice dude

The parallel out to the thiele works well. I prefer the sound without the combo for some reason. The combination of the recto cab and the thiele make for a thunderous bottom end!

Yea man, i bet that setup can peel some paint!

OT question: how would you compare the 212 closedback to the thiele (I assume an EVM-loaded)?

Just curious as I have a DC5 which I run with the thiele on occasion. But like you, I am entertaining the idea of converting to a head chassis and running my thiele with something else, but not sure what. My biggest "issue" is I really like the sound of the combo MC90 on its own, and I like the sound of the Thiele complementing the MC90, but not the thiele alone. And the other issue is the DC5 is wider than the thiele, so looks funny balancing on top. Who are you planning to run yours if you get a head cab?

Edward

That's a killer setup, you probably don't like the combo sound because you like it tight and the half back combo is too loose.
I had to put mine in a corner to get some definition out of it, now I just take out the speaker and put it in a closed back ported 1x12. :)

edward said:
OT question: how would you compare the 212 closedback to the thiele (I assume an EVM-loaded)?

Just curious as I have a DC5 which I run with the thiele on occasion. But like you, I am entertaining the idea of converting to a head chassis and running my thiele with something else, but not sure what. My biggest "issue" is I really like the sound of the combo MC90 on its own, and I like the sound of the Thiele complementing the MC90, but not the thiele alone. And the other issue is the DC5 is wider than the thiele, so looks funny balancing on top. Who are you planning to run yours if you get a head cab?

Edward

i think i would tend to agree with you. the thiele (with the evm12l 300w) on its own sounds quite 'boxy' and 'hi fi' in comparison to the open back cab as you would expect. Its also quite a focused cab in that it sounds very loud directly in front and not so loud to the side for the same amp volume. Don't get me wrong the thiele is an awesome cab in its own right and has a sound quality, power and clarity much greater than the size of its cab if you know what i mean. its also way more portable that say the 212 cab. It complements the Dc5 very well as numerous people on this forum have posted.

With regard to the size of the DC5 combo i have run this with the thiele in the past with a long cable between for some widening of the sound. Agreed that the DC5 looks strange atop the thiele cab due to its size.

At a recent jam session with some friends i decided that the 2x12 is an awesome cab. I was sceptical at first but it was just superb at the jam session. I put the dc on top and just ran the 2x12 cab. Next time ill try the thiele on top of the 212 or maybe just swap the thiele another 212 cab. I am also probably going to swap the combo for a head (maybe a mkiii) or get it converted. The 2x12 is just closer to the sound i want than the combo speaker could ever be. Additionally the combo takes up to much space if the speaker is not being used.

you may wish to try a 2x12 cab if that the sound you are looking for. i think the v30s sound great and it just gets better i.e. heavier and thicker with no flub as it gets louder. in comparison to the thiele i would say it sounds much bigger / wider but with a more 'organic' feel. i would also say the bass response is equal if not better than the thiele simply due to the size and weight of the cab. not a portable though for sure. also it sounds better on the floor than raised for some reason. i have no casters on the cab either

here are some videos of the jam. we didn't rehearse or anything just played them out so there are a few mistakes but you can hear the sound of the 2x12 with the dc. Recorded with a mobile phone in the room. guitar is a gibson exp with emg81/85

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hDghnoy_Uc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5BgIh-1zpc

eeviac said:
edward said:

Edward

i think i would tend to agree with you. the thiele (with the evm12l 300w) on its own sounds quite 'boxy' and 'hi fi' in comparison to the open back cab as you would expect. Its also quite a focused cab in that it sounds very loud directly in front and not so loud to the side for the same amp volume. Don't get me wrong the thiele is an awesome cab in its own right and has a sound quality, power and clarity much greater than the size of its cab if you know what i mean. its also way more portable that say the 212 cab. It complements the Dc5 very well as numerous people on this forum have posted.

With regard to the size of the DC5 combo i have run this with the thiele in the past with a long cable between for some widening of the sound. Agreed that the DC5 looks strange atop the thiele cab due to its size.

At a recent jam session with some friends i decided that the 2x12 is an awesome cab. I was sceptical at first but it was just superb at the jam session. I put the dc on top and just ran the 2x12 cab. Next time ill try the thiele on top of the 212 or maybe just swap the thiele another 212 cab. I am also probably going to swap the combo for a head (maybe a mkiii) or get it converted. The 2x12 is just closer to the sound i want than the combo speaker could ever be. Additionally the combo takes up to much space if the speaker is not being used.

you may wish to try a 2x12 cab if that the sound you are looking for. i think the v30s sound great and it just gets better i.e. heavier and thicker with no flub as it gets louder. in comparison to the thiele i would say it sounds much bigger / wider but with a more 'organic' feel. i would also say the bass response is equal if not better than the thiele simply due to the size and weight of the cab. not a portable though for sure. also it sounds better on the floor than raised for some reason. i have no casters on the cab either

here are some videos of the jam. we didn't rehearse or anything just played them out so there are a few mistakes but you can hear the sound of the 2x12 with the dc. Recorded with a mobile phone in the room. guitar is a gibson exp with emg81/85

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hDghnoy_Uc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5BgIh-1zpc

You've got quite a sound! I have a Jackson loaded with the EMG 81/85... I was curious as to the settings you used on your DC-5 to get that sound?

Also, what guitar/pickups/amp is your partner using? Looks like an explorer of some sort....

Im using a gibson explorer pro with emg 81/51 with the mesa

My buddy is using an esp eclipse with emg 81/85 into an xt pro

eeviac said:
Im using a gibson explorer pro with emg 81/51 with the mesa

My buddy is using an esp eclipse with emg 81/85 into an xt pro

Care to share your DC-5 settings? Or is that a trade secret? :twisted:

i tend to change the settings around depending on what speaker cab im using as well as the room im in.

generally though its something like this on the lead channel

Gain 7.5
Treble 7.5
Mid 8
Bass 3-4 (probably lower the better again depending on the cab)
Presence 6-7
Reverb 0
Master 1.5 - 2

Output 7.5 - 8

GEq is a kind of a shallow 'v' with the middle slider fully 'scooped' , 80hz boosted somewhat, 6600 hz cut about halfway between bottom and middle.

Back