DC-5 Appreciation

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here we are boys!!

First, just the half stack!

halfstackfrontfl5.jpg

halfstacksidefg1.jpg

I'm actually wondering if doing the volume pot mod is a good idea on my Mesa, since it actually sounds pretty good at the volume knob just a hair above 1 (where it usually stays) and master levels at above 2. The post in the mod thread said that generally there'd be no output at all between 0 and 2 - maybe I have an odd model out, or someone did the mod already?

I'd like to jump aboard this thread and say that i love my DC-5 too!

It's my second ever tube amp after owning a Roadster and is the one that i know i will keep forever. It's hard to explain but i feel a huge attachment to it. The Roadster was a bit sterile, not much character. But my little DC-5 combo has something about it, like every time i plug into it it thanks me by bathing me in harmonics!

:shock: This is getting sad now isn't it?

Anyway i'm going to give it a good clean tomorrow inside and out and i'm looking to retolex it Orange so that it looks nice with my Orange Rocker 30 and PPC112 :D

As for the Rocker 30, it does classic rock and punchy indie tones well, but it's just no match for the DC-5. It does have its own character though, and it's nice to have the option to crank the natural channel for some sweet EL34 break up :D

Monsta-Tone said:
:D I just got hired to be in a Southern Rock band. I've never given my DC-5 a gig type workout, should be fun.

Sounds like fun. Let us know how that goes and I'd be interested in how you will be setting your DC-5 up for southern rock. Pulled boost on the clean channel or a pedal?

MJ Slaughter said:
Monsta-Tone said:
:D I just got hired to be in a Southern Rock band. I've never given my DC-5 a gig type workout, should be fun.

Sounds like fun. Let us know how that goes and I'd be interested in how you will be setting your DC-5 up for southern rock. Pulled boost on the clean channel or a pedal?

Well, :D diametrically opposed from Southern Rock, we're going to be part of a Neil Young tribite show, and pulling the boost on ch1 and setting the gain to about 7/10 yielded every classic rock tone imaginable with my Strat simply by varying the guitar's volume between 1.5 and 10. No need for any pedals except my H2o for chorus and delay.

I'm just so impressed with this amp I can't see straight.

*Tribute :roll: *

Well, diametrically opposed from Southern Rock, we're going to be part of a Neil Young tribite show,

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't think I really like the Boost on channel 1. The cleans are so nice that I use my channel 2 for distortions and keep channel 1 clean.

I have done some really nice things to mine, so the gain knob seems to sound great, no matter where I put it. Plus, I have different pickups in each of my PRS's, so I can get different tones easily.

A bias pot and a Cathode/Fixed Bias switch does wonders for this amp. I may end up putting a Triode/Pentode switch in, but haven't yet.

Monsta-Tone said:
I don't think I really like the Boost on channel 1. The cleans are so nice that I use my channel 2 for distortions and keep channel 1 clean.

I don't like it with humbuckers either, but with single coils...

Now, I should mention I've upgraded my Strat to Duncan Classic Stacks (around 10k), and have got a RS control kit in with a cap across the vol. so the highs don't drop as you turn down the knob. Even with the pull boost it just cleans right up when you roll back the vol.

Most.Versatile.Setup.Ever.

I might try it with my Strat.

I usually play my McCarty though. It has Duncan Alnico II's in it and is very sweet sounding.

I put the cap across the Volume pot in my McCarty and it kills the tone when I turn it down just 1 notch. I'm going to remove it.

I have it on all of my other guitars and it works great. Must be the pot in the McCarty. I wondered why it didn't have it from the factory when all of my other PRS's did.

I don't know if I every tried channel 1 pulled with my Strat. Once it's out of the shop I'll do that. They have to replace the neck because it won't stay straight and the truss rod is maxed out. Warranty fortunatly.

Just wanted to chime in and give this thread a bump. I've owned a lot of very different amps; cheap Fender SS amp, SS Crate halfstack, then Line6 Flextone, then Line 6 Spider II, then Mesa F-50, then Peavey JSX.

With this amp (DC-5 combo) I am finally happy. I keep waiting for the honeymoon to wear off, but after nearly 3 months, it hasn't. So versatile it's insane for a "2 channel". I've already got a Palmer PDI-09 and a Hot Plate for silent recording, but plan to also get this:

http://www.grendelsound.com/pic2.htm

Grendel Dead Room.

As good as the DC-5 sounds running through the Palmer, I still love the sound of a good ol' SM57 against the speaker.

Monsta-Tone said:
:D How much is that thing?????

$350-$450, depending on if you get it with a speaker or not, and which speaker if you do. I was thinking of getting an empty one and installing a C90.

Latest posts

Back