DC-3

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, change your tubes. These amps are renowned for being throaty and trebly.

With those settings every dog in the neighborhood should be running for cover.......if the amp is working properly and has good tubes in it.

Monsta-Tone said:
Well, change your tubes. These amps are renowned for being throaty and trebly.

With those settings every dog in the neighborhood should be running for cover.......if the amp is working properly and has good tubes in it.

How can it be throaty AND trebley?

See the vid I posted (santana). THAT was what I was aiming for when buying this amp. I know I wasn't gonna NAIL it (production, micing, etc), but I at least was hoping for that level of distortion and clarity..

Like I said, maybe distortion pedal on the clean channel would be good for me??

If you're not going to listen, then I'm going to stop talking.

Nobody else on the planet with your amp has this problem.

Try different tubes!

An Electro Harmonix in V3, or Doug's Tubes mixture.

Monsta-Tone said:
If you're not going to listen, then I'm going to stop talking.

Nobody else on the planet with your amp has this problem.

Try different tubes!

An Electro Harmonix in V3, or Doug's Tubes mixture.

I'M saying I probably wasted $800 on an amp I hate! If it isn't the tubes. I reckon I'm downright fucked

Plus, if it was the tubes, wouldn't my clean channel have the problems as my distortion channel

The manual has a tube chart in it.

Here is the breakdown:
V1 - Clean & Dirty channel 1st gain stages
V2 - Dirty channel 2nd & 3rd gain stages
V3 - Dirty channel 4th gain stage and FX Return stage
V4 - Clean channel 2nd & 3rd gain stages
V5 - Reverb
V6 - Phase Inverter

If either V3 or V4 are going south, or if they are just muddy or dark sounding tubes, then this may be causing your problem.

the tubes are like a year old with very little use. So now I don't know what to do. I've noticed it sounds beeter and better in the higher volumes. Still boxy though. The distortion doesn't SCREAM. I just sounds kinda flabby.

Sorry for the confusion. My particular DC-3 is very dark at low volumes. But, I forgot to mention, once TURNED UP, in the classic 'V' setting, my DC-3 can sound VERY similar to my MarkIV. The Mark is still brighter, but they're surprisingly close when the DC-3 is cranked. I have both amps going through identical Marshall 4x12 cabs with the cheap Celestions in them (still sounds great). Again, it couldn't be my ONLY amp, but it's probably my favorite amp.

LEVEL4 said:
Sorry for the confusion. My particular DC-3 is very dark at low volumes. But, I forgot to mention, once TURNED UP, in the classic 'V' setting, my DC-3 can sound VERY similar to my MarkIV. The Mark is still brighter, but they're surprisingly close when the DC-3 is cranked. I have both amps going through identical Marshall 4x12 cabs with the cheap Celestions in them (still sounds great). Again, it couldn't be my ONLY amp, but it's probably my favorite amp.

It kinda sucks that it doesn't sound good at low volumes though. Kind of a bummer actually. I have put it past two a couple times and the higher I went, the better it got. But I'm in an apt, I don't want my neighbors to call the cops.

Also, I need to know about this EQ thing. I don't need the EQ on the clean channel but I need it on the dirt channel. So when I use the footswitch I have to click the lead channel and then the EQ switch. It just takes more time. Is there anyway to have the clean channel without EQ and once you switch it to lead, the EQ is automatically on?

Volitan said:
My settings are basically Treble: 10; Mids 10, Gain 8-9; Pres 10; Bass 0 and then EQ with bass fully cut mids same, high mids and treble all the way boosted. And a Telecaster with Vintage SD pickups

It doesn't bite. I'm a treble fiend and this just has a throaty quality to it.

Like I said the clean channel is practically perfect. Maybe I should just leave it on the clean channel and get a distortion pedal?

If a telecaster doesn't kill your hearing with those crazy settings and if your tubes, speakers etc. are working correctly, then you should probabyly just buy a cheap solid-state amp plus The Holy Grail of Bite!
Behold!
MT-2.jpg

:lol:

Latest posts

Back