DC-3 Speakers... Vintage 30 vs. Black Shadow???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jzerza

Reaction score
I currently have a DC-3 with a Celestion Vintage 30, but I am looking at buying another DC-3 that has a Black Shadow speaker in it. I don't know anything about that speaker, can anyone share what the differences are?
Is the V30 the stock speaker?
Thanks
Jeff

I think they were both stock at one time, I have two DC-3's and one of each speaker.. To be perfectly honest they both sound about the same.. I guess my preference is the Black Shadow but maybe it's just the amp itself or the tubes that give it a slightly throatier sound?? Not a real big difference though.. They both sound great..
Hope this helps..
Chris.. :D

I would not say that they sound similar. I have to disagree with Mr. Norris over there. The C90 has a bigger bottom end and is not as harsh or as piercing as a V30 IMO.

V30 has more aggressive mids; MC90 has rounder voice and more bottom ...the latter being the better "all-around" speaker for a combo, IMHO. Either matched with other spkrs/cabs is a diff story, but as a stand alone combo speaker, the MC90 is one of my favorites.

Edward

I guess what I was trying to say is, when I have mine side by side by adjusting the EQ settings - I can get both amps to sound pretty much identical... The Black Shadow does seem to have a bit more "natural" low end.. but I just compensate the EQ on the Vintage 30... Like I said previously, to me either one sounds great...

Has anyone ever tried a Greenback or G12H in their DC-3 combos? I'm thinking of getting a 1x12 cab, and I've been trying decide between the V30s, the Greenbacks, or the G12Hs. Looking for an overdriven metal sound with a nice break-up, if possible, for my DC-3 head.

For a combo, you don't want to use a Greenback. It won't last long. It breaks up way too quickly too.

I used a Mojotone BV30H (Heritage 30 clone) in my DC-3 and it was a dramatic improvement over the Vintage 30.

It was very warm, yet retained that British sound like the Vintage 30, but with tons of added bass and less mids.

I tried the following speakers and decided on the 30H because it was the warmest sounding and did not muffle the amp in any way.
Vintage 30: Sounded like a swarm of bees, very buzzy and boxy sounding.
Weber Thames: Great for cleans, lots of sparkle, but not enough depth for distorted tones.
C-90: Great for distorted tones, but seemed to muffle the cleans (which is weird since I love this speaker in my LSS).
Mojotone Greyhound: OK, but not in this amp, it sounds much better in a Fender amp that is bass heavy.
BV30H: Warm, fat, and pleasant to listen too. Not too shrill, not to chubby, just right.

The Vintage 30 used to be my favorite speaker when I played metal, but now I need speakers that have more depth to them. The V30's seem too harsh now.

Latest posts

Back