DC-3 settings.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rvschulz

Reaction score
if you have followed the saga of the lonesome DC-3 I have picked up ... here is the latest. I played it for about 90 minutes Sunday through the 1x12 half back I got with the head. It works fine. I could not get it to fail, and I did flip it to standby and back a couple of times while i was switching guitars.

i played two strats and my 335 through it. i must say the clean is nice and the reverb is very good on the rhythm/channel 1. i am not a fan of channel 2 yet - i found it kind of harsh and fizzy. however, i like the true 2 channel amp.

anyone try this through a EVM-12 ? and i am looking for a "Santana/Clapton" liquid smooth lead setting for channel 2. I can get crunch through pedals - i don;t play that sound very much any way.

thanks in advance. i will try to work out the settings this week in the next couple of days and if I can't get satisfied ... one of you may be happy with it ! Thanks.

The DC-3 sounds amazing through an EV loaded thiele! That's the only experience I have with an EV and the DC-3 though.

You will most likely have to do the master volume trick on CH2 to get smooth Santana leads. For example, turn your gain all the way down, then crank the master to like 8, then bring in the gain slowly. You'll have to mess with these two knobs until you get the right amount of gain:volume ratio for the tone you want. Keep your treble low so as not to add more gain. Use your guitar volume and tone knobs creatively. Don't be afraid to crank the mids or bass. Hope that helps.

I've had my DC-3 for a couple of months now and have yet to find the right combination for the "Santana" sound. I think that type of sound is dependant on the power section of the amp. The DC3's low-wattage EL-84 in Class A is not ideal for that. It just can't match a Mark's 6L6 in Class A/B or Simulclass with lots of wattage that you are probably used to.

Also, I think channel 1 can do a better non-distorted lead than channel 2. Keep the gain low & mids low, presence up a bit then turn the master and output as loud as you can take it. Really pushing the output tubes will improve the sustain.

Back