DC-3 Owners..Any Lead Channel Settings?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davec69

Reaction score
Can any DC-3 owners offer suggestions/settings for getting the best out of the lead channel? I've owned this amp for a few months now, and while I love the clean channel, I've rarely ever switched over to the lead channel.

I admit I haven't spent much time tweaking the lead channel, but all my attempts so far, have not resulted in a lead tone that I like. I swapped the tubes over to JJ's, shortly after I purchased it, but I'm running a combo of Boogie & JJ's presently.

Again, I love the clean channel, and with pedals, I can get all the dirt that I need, but it seems a waste not using the 2nd channel.

I have a DC-2 and my LP sounds great on the lead channel (in both regular and 'scooped EQ' mode). I generally leave all the knobs on 5, and might tweak the gain depending on what breakup I'm after.

Try using the EQ and setting it to the inverted 'V' shape.

BTW, what type of guitar are you using through it?

My main guitar is a 62' AVRI Strat, but I've also tried with a LP, 335 and tele. The lead channel tone is not bad, just sort of average, I'm looking for some ideas to bump it up to the next level. I didn't mention, that I'm running an 1x12 LopoLine extension cab with JBL K120-12. I have a EVM12L on the way, and I was thinking to replace the stock MC90 with the EVM, and then replacing the JBL with the MC90 in the extension cab.

Another question. Can anyone tell me what affect, the eq toggle on the rear has? I downloaded the manual, but in the manual, it shows a rotary knob in this position. My amp does not have this knob, it instead has a toggle switch.

It selects EQ for Lead channel only or EQ for both Rhythm and Lead. I leave it in the Rythym/Lead mode and footswitch it on and off. I have more options that way.

For a nice lead tone that cuts through but sounds smooth (that "is it clean, or is it distorted?" sound), I use the following setting with my strat and tele:

gain: 7
treble: 6.5
mids: 5.5
bass: 7
presence: 3.5
reverb: to taste (I never go with more than 3 on the lead setting)
channel master: 3
overall master: 3 (4 if you don't have neighbors)
eq (from left to right): (1) max; (2) between 3/4 and max; (3) scoop slightly below center - if you go too low, it may sound good, but you'll get lost in the mix); (4) a little higher than 3/4; (5) a little below max.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

plumptone said:
For a nice lead tone that cuts through but sounds smooth (that "is it clean, or is it distorted?" sound), I use the following setting with my strat and tele:

gain: 7
treble: 6.5
mids: 5.5
bass: 7
presence: 3.5
reverb: to taste (I never go with more than 3 on the lead setting)
channel master: 3
overall master: 3 (4 if you don't have neighbors)
eq (from left to right): (1) max; (2) between 3/4 and max; (3) scoop slightly below center - if you go too low, it may sound good, but you'll get lost in the mix); (4) a little higher than 3/4; (5) a little below max.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

My lead tone of my DC-3 is almost exactly like this.

Thanks for the settings. I haven't had a chance to try them out yet. I've found an even better way to get a great lead tone. How'd I do it you ask?

I picked up a Mark IV Combo w EMV12L & Extension Cab, last night. :D

Back