DC-3 EQ Question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I have been playing around with my DC-3 for the last few days and have a question.

The Graphic EQ doesn't seem to add any Volume Boost like the Mark IV EQ does. I used to use the Mark IV's EQ for a Solo Boost.

I can barely tell that it's on. If I make the dreaded/coveted "V" with the EQ, I can tell that it has changed the tone, but the Volume of the amp stays exactly the same no matter where I place the sliders.

Is this normal or do I need to investige? I can always add a Solo function, but like the EQ option better because I can add some Mids to the mix and let the amp cut through better.

I was thinking of calling Mesa in the morning, but don't want to bother them with stupid questions.

I am able to use the eq on my DC3 to both color the tone AND gain a volume boost for solo work. I have had problems with some of the individual sliders not working (the fix was simply to clean the connections), but each oine of the sliders should have a noticeable impact on both the tone and the volume. With all 5 sliders set in the middle, the tone and volume should exactly replicate the sound of the amp with the EQ bypassed, and once you start to raise them above the halfway piont, you should notice the frequencies becoming more pronounced, and ultimately the amp should be louder.

I would start by making sure each one is working. The center slider has the most pronounced effect, but I also find the 80K slider has a dramatic effect as well. If your amp isn't pumping harder when you engage the eq, I would investigate the issue further (maybe call MB), because that's one of the key features of this little amp - at least it is for me. I depend on the eq for my solo boost.

[/quote]I would start by making sure each one is working. The center slider has the most pronounced effect, but I also find the 80K slider has a dramatic effect as well. If your amp isn't pumping harder when you engage the eq, I would investigate the issue further (maybe call MB), because that's one of the key features of this little amp - at least it is for me. I depend on the eq for my solo boost.
I called Mesa yesterday and spoke to a tech for about 1/2 an hour. He told me that on some of the older ones (mine is #718 and had the Grey Tolex), that the Switching Matrix uses an LDR that might be bad or might not be getting enough Voltage.

When I told him I was a Tech, we started talking about footswitch mods, Simul Mods, all kinds of stuff.

I'm going to look into it this weekend and see what I can come up with. I'm sure that I can make it more pronounced.

I have tried the sliders individually, they all seem to work. I cleaned them out, and of course, ran out of cleaner in the middle of cleaning the pots, so I have to get more. Unfortunately, the nearest Radio Shack or Home Depot is 30 minutes away. I don't think it's due to dirt, although there was some gunk in the Sliders. Nothing is scratchy on the amp at all.

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it.

Maybe it does effect how loud the amp is then. I'll check because I know my graphic is working correctly, it makes a big difference in tone. I 've just never played with the eq set flat and then adjusted it to see if there was a volume change. I would have never really thought the overall volume got louder.

Usually, if you are boosting or attenuating frequencies, you will be able to perceive a change in Volume. It may be subtle though.

The Mark IV EQ is awesome for Solo Boosts. You can set all the sliders in the middle and then boost the Mids & Highs to really cut through. It doesn't get extremely loud like the Solo knob on the newer Mesa's, but it works perfectly because it allows you to dial in the exact tone you need to stand out.

The EQ on mine will boost quite nicely, but I've chosen to use it the other way...set the selector switch on the back to lead and have the EQ "on" at channel switch to dial out some of the mid/mid high eq for a smoother/quieter crunch rhythm tone. Then, since the lead channel is so mid heavy, I kick the EQ off for a nice lead boost. Really jumps out of the mix that way.

Works well either way - I just find using the EQ that way smooths the jump between the clean and crunch channels.

Recent acquisition. Really great amp for the money/portability factor. Threw in a new set of JJ tubes which really like the V30. Sounds really, really good!

Latest posts

Back