DC-2 Hum Help

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brucru

Reaction score
Just bought a used DC-2. I put new tubes it immediately. When I turn up the volume in either channel, or run a boost pedal, the 60 cycle hum gets bad.
My first thought was to replace all of the supply caps. Does this amp have a history of bad Power Transformers or chokes?
Nothing on the board looks like it was ever hot....

any help is appreciated.....

breu

Did it hum before you put new tubes in it? Did you replace the power tubes or ALL the tubes?

Yes it hummed prior to replacing all the tubes. I replaced all with Mesa Boogie tubse, pre and power.

If you know it's not the tubes, check to make sure you have clean power, proper grounding and you're not picking up hum or interference from equipment or lights nearby. (yes this stuff is pretty obvious but never hurts to ask)

If you have to go inside to check caps, resistors and sockets etc.. you are over my head. Keep you post going there are lots of folks here who can help.

Thanks, I have used the Amp in several enviroments. The worst was playing outside last weekend. It seems to be consistant tho.
I appreciate the input. I wanted to see if others have had similar problem prior to shot gunning. Easiest would be to replace all the supply caps.
If you think of anything please reply. I love the amp.....sold all my Fenders and Marshalls. These are great amps, Mesa should still make them. I bought it because of the design. allot cheaper used than building one.
breu

I agree it sounds like a filter cap is a likely candidate. It's a good place to start checking anyway.

Good luck!

Back