DC-10 vs Heartbreaker vs F-100

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canon

Reaction score
Which of these for (really) fender bassman / twin cleans, reliability, reverb, and loud in a 2x12 combo?

Here's the impressions I get from reading around:
- F100: some reliability issues, muddy unrefined distortion
- Heartbreaker: too dark for single coils
- DC10: umm, hmm, perfect?
- Lonestar Classic: expensive, is the F100 better all around but perhaps less versatile?

Sorry for the wide-swath of this posting, I'm in the great amp search! :)

For cleans: Big Head Todd & the Monsters
For distortion: Up to old EVH

Thanks!

I own a Heartbreaker and mainly use single coils with it and I don't find it to be too dark whatsoever. It has great cleans and pretty mean distortions from Mark I to Marshall-esque.

I've tried both the DC-10 and the Heartbreaker, and whilst fine amps, neither blew me away in the same way as the F-series. I'm a huge fan of both the F-100 and the F-50, and they both sound similarly stunning. I ended up with the F-50, and have been ravin' about it for well over three years.

The F-series are perhaps easier to dial in than some Mesa designs, but it still requires some experience. There's an F-100 user here (hal9000) who has gone to the trouble of putting together some audition settings as the amp can have rather unconventional dial settings. This allows first time users to have a starting point and get a better idea of the amp's versatility.

And this amp is seriously versatile. I am heavily influenced by session guitarists, and for the kinds of gig that I do, versatility and tone are paramount. Many of the clean sounds are found in the Rhythm channel, which is based on a black face tonestack. Randall Smith has described it as one of the best clean sounds ever from Boogie, and it has all the spank and shimmer I like to find in a good old Fender - the Boogie has a little more presence, is a little more hifi, but the character is there. Conversely, the lead channel is based on a Bassman tone stack, and although when wound up, there is that beautiful fat, Boogie lead tone, with the gain down, there are wonderful woody clean tones to satisfy your tweed flavoured fun and games. Finally, when switched into Contour mode, this sweet old amp design switches into a much more modern voice, with aggression inspired by the Rectos.

Apologies for all those words, perhaps clips would give a better idea of the F-series' versatility. I have a bunch of video and audio clips of my F-50 combo in my Signing In Post - including both tweed and blackface style cleans. There are even more clips and a wealth of information over at the HCAF's F-series Lounge. You may also be interested in Randall Smith's comments on the F-series design process, and UK Guitarist magazines Gold review (one of only a handful of amps ever to win the top award). I chose the bone-crunchingly loud F-50 over the rest of Mesa line (including the mighty MkIV) which were all within budget, and I highly recommend giving them an audition. :)

Big smiles,

Andy.

P.S. The Lonestar Classic has now replaced the MkIV as my second favourite Boogie. Highly recommended too! 8)

canon said:
Which of these for (really) fender bassman / twin cleans, reliability, reverb, and loud in a 2x12 combo?

Here's the impressions I get from reading around:
- F100: some reliability issues, muddy unrefined distortion
- Heartbreaker: too dark for single coils
- DC10: umm, hmm, perfect?
- Lonestar Classic: expensive, is the F100 better all around but perhaps less versatile?

Sorry for the wide-swath of this posting, I'm in the great amp search! :)

For cleans: Big Head Todd & the Monsters
For distortion: Up to old EVH

Thanks!
+1, to everything Dann'sTheMan said.

As far as your comment: "F100: some reliability issues, muddy unrefined distortion." I don't find either of these to be true.

I've had my F-100 2x12 combo for over 3.5 years and it's been flawless through hundreds of practices and gigs. Also, there are very few problems reported on the F-series lounge which has hundreds of participants. Most of the problems come down to tubes in the end anyway.

As far as the overdrive sound, one needs only to listen to Tommi Inkila's stunning work with his F-50 and EBMM JP6 on www.scenerychannel.com to confirm that the F-series can be as defined as you'd like.

IMO, the Lone Star is not as versatile as the F-series although it does have a deep and lush reverb.

Wow, thanks for the excellent post Dann'sTheMan, I will reconsider the F100!

Got the HB combo and the F-100 combo, the HB is darker but to my liking is more on a blues type, it can rock but the F-100 is more on the next step of high gain. I got a DC-5 combo and I think is a more in between on tone of those amps. Depending of type of music that will help you chose, the HB is a monster of possible changes (tubes, rectifiers, etc.). I think personally for tone versitality to me the DC-series would be better than the other 2, mainly for the EQ, but that is personal taste.... and lack of time to do a better test...hehe

LPClassic, my brain officially hurts now, but good info, thanks!

I can't seem to find a bad review for the DC10 anywhere, so that's inching to the top of the list so far. I need a bright clean bassman sound and that EQ would probably help there, right? The F100 has a bright pull knob as well.

I have a Heartbreaker that I've modded to get better Reverb and more defined (less bassy) tone.

If you decide to swing toward the HB, let me know, I will give you a great price.

It is extremely versatile for Blues, Rock, Classic Rock type stuff. I bought the Roadster and need to sell some gear to pay for it.

I also have a DC-5 which is an incredible amp as well.

Not rude at all.

I really like the Rectifier tone. It suits my needs much more than any other amp. I like brutal, heavy distortion.

I was going to buy a friend's Tremoverb and the deal fell through. I was in Albuqurque last week and tried the Roadster and loved it.

It has Rectifier tone, great Reverb, and a Solo boost.

I really like the Heartbreaker, but can't afford to keep it now.

I'm also selling a few vintage Fenders (none that are worth anything) and a Soldano Hot Rod 100+ to get it.

canon, sorry for the overflow of information. The F-100 has a bright pull you are rigth but i think the intention of that clean channel is to sound more in the fender blackface twin reverb type sound. If you like high cleans the F-100 is the closest ticket probably. The DC has the Eq and that may help to have a better clean.

Also try used first that way is you don't like it and want to change, you will not lose much, sometimes you get even orgetting a little more...

Good luck and hope you can try all of them to see which ne suits you better.

Monsta-Tone, what are you looking for for the heartbreaker? Thanks

Monsta-Tone said:
Not rude at all.

I really like the Rectifier tone. It suits my needs much more than any other amp. I like brutal, heavy distortion.

I was going to buy a friend's Tremoverb and the deal fell through. I was in Albuqurque last week and tried the Roadster and loved it.

It has Rectifier tone, great Reverb, and a Solo boost.

I really like the Heartbreaker, but can't afford to keep it now.

I'm also selling a few vintage Fenders (none that are worth anything) and a Soldano Hot Rod 100+ to get it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290021523688&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

The Reserve is only $650 + shipping.

If you want, I can reverse the Gain Mod so that Channel 1 is cleaner.

It also probably needs new power tubes. I just saw one go for $750 earlier this week, so I think it's a really fair price. I paid $799 + shipping, but it's hard to get that out of a Heartbreaker, which is unfortunate because they are really great amps. I wouldn't even sell it if I didn't need money for the Roadster.

Yes, lower gain please, other than that, I'm interested, I'll PM ya my phone#.

Latest posts

Back