DC-10 info/pics?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jman7272

Reaction score
Ok. From the top.

The DC series kicks ***. I have a DC5. Unless you need 100 watts, the 5 is plenty (50 watts). They made the 5 in head or 1x12 or combo and the 10 in head or 2x12 combo.

I love DC's they are fantastic and very versitile with the foot switchable graphic eq. My neighbor has a 2x12 combo. Awesome growl, good cleans, great all around amp. Kindof a hybrid of a Mark and a rectifier.

They do nt take 34's.

5 heads go around 600-700. I just saw a mint 10 head go for 6 and change on the bay. Good luck.

Hey rabies,

As per a Mesa tech, the DCs clean channel is modeled after a Mark; lead channel after a Recto ...FWIW, from his mouth.

That said, my DC5 is a keeper, has been now for almost a decade, for its superb tone, ability to cover lots of tonal ground, and absolute reliability over much live play over the years. All I did was make a few choice tube swaps, and she's earned her way into "keeper" status when others in the past have found their way out my door.

I've "heard" from owners (read, actually) that the 10 has more punch, but couldn't tell you personally ...though my 5 has plenty of punch. I've got a combo and love it for its very "big" tone (size is same as a MKIV widebody), but a DC10 in a head would be my personal choice over the very large/heavy 212 combo. Not made to accept ELs, but I think that's what other Boogs are for ;)
Hope this helps you :)

Edward

I use a DC-10 head along with a Mesa Traditional 4x12 and it's an asskicking setup! The clean is to die for and the dirty is somewhere between Mark and Recto. It's an amp that takes time to get to know as the the gain and eq controls are very interactive. Your patience will be rewarded. I run a Barber Direct drive in front and I get 4 channels of killer with this setup. Also, try dropping a 12AT7 in place of the 12AX7 in the PI slot. The difference is subtle but to my ears better. I have had many amps in the last few years and this one is the best yet. I have recently considered swapping my setup for a combo but after carrying a couple of mesa combos I thing that the head and cab are less hassle! I would however still swap it for a Mark IV combo.

Had 2 Mark IV's. The DC-10 is the keeper for me.

I have had:
2 DC-2 combos
2 DC-3 (1 A and currently, 1 B version) combos
1 DC-5A combo
1 DC-10 2x12 combo

Also have had:
1 Nomad 55 combo (bought it when they were new and had footswitch problems)
2 Dual Rectos, both 2-channel (1 very early model and one later model)
Studio 22+
Heartbreaker Combo
Heartbreaker Head
Blue Angel 1x12 combo

Still have:
DC-3B combo
DC-10 combo
Heartbreaker head

The circuit for the distortion channel on the DC is not very close to the Recto. It is however, a combination between the Mark tightness and the Recto gain and crunch.

Cleans are phenomenal for a high gain amp. I have put my DC-10 up against my Mark IV's and my 66 Fender Pro Reverb. The DC wins in the end because the Pro just doesn't have that other channel. :D

Reverb is very nice, nowhere near as deep as the Pro, but there is a reason why everything says, "Fender Cleans!"

You really can't go wrong with a DC-10. It has way more thump than my 5 did. This does not mean that you can't get great tones at lower levels though. I am extremely happy with the tones I get at either concert volume or bedroom volume.

The last band I was in played everything from the Coasters to Van Halen to ZZ Top. My DC-10 covered all of that territory and then some.

It won't take EL34's, but that's what I got the Heartbreaker for.

I forgot to mention:

The combo is very heavy, around 95 pounds.

The combo has a certain amount of midrange that cannot be dialed out without changing speakers.

I think that the head version may tend to have a darker sound, simply because you can choose which cabinets and speakers to use.

My combo has 2 C-90's in it right now. I was going to change them, but they sound so good on the clean channel that I decided to keep them in there for a while longer.

Also, the footswitchable EQ makes up for not having the Solo function that the newer amps have. I don't use it for rythms at all, only for a great lead boost.

It is also very tweakable, but is not a "Tweaker's amp." It is extremely simple to dial in as compared to the Mark IV.

Back