Dating an amp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drunkfux

Reaction score
Hello
Is there any other way of dating an mesa dual rec apart from the serial number?. Theres a blackface/chrome chassis in my local guitar shop but the sticker where the serial number has been peeled off it looks pretty old and battered. The guy in the shop tells me it was owned by sombody in a old rock band called the tigers of pan tang? (apperently they were quite big) but couldnt tell me how old it was. Its up for £1100 and i think it would make a nice addition to my 3ch triple rec but id just like to put a date on it. many thanks

drunkfux said:
The guy in the shop tells me it was owned by sombody in a old rock band called the tigers of pan tang? (apperently they were quite big) but couldnt tell me how old it was.

I believe the shop owner may have been referring to the "Tygers of Pan Tang". They were part of the NWOBHM in the late '70's/early '80's. You can read about the Tygers here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tygers_Of_Pan_Tang and also their official website here: http://www.tygers.co.uk/ (at least I think that's the official site).

With that said, don't get talked into paying any more for that amp just because of the supposed provenance.

flieger67 said:
With that said, don't get talked into paying any more for that amp just because of the supposed provenance.

Yeah, because I've opened for "bigger" acts that sometimes are or are not endorsed and sometimes, because it was in fact owned by a famous rocker, it could mean it was treated like crap. (they obviously didn't care that much about it's value if they ripped off the serial number) So, fully test it and make sure everything works. Unfortunately, not everyone really cares about their equipment like the people here, and only know how to turn it on and play......

-AJH

MesaENGR412 said:
Unfortunately, not everyone really cares about their equipment like the people here, and only know how to turn it on and play......

-AJH

That's why Crate, Peavey and Line 6 exist. 8)

Back