Danelectro Cool Cat, Better Than Xotic AC+?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJ Slaughter

Reaction score
I've been using my AC+ for sometime know and have been happy with it but after hearing about the Cool Cat CTO-1 low gain overdrive for only $40 I had to try it. What surprised me at this price was first the tone, I like it a little better than my AC+ because it's less fizzy, and it's in a metal box with metal jacks and true bypass switch.

If you're in the market for a low-mid gain OD then you may want to check it out. Here is a link to a couple of clips showing my AC+ then the Cool Cat being played into my DC-10. These samples were done originally for the purpose of comparing them with a low gain setting on my GT-10 so that is what that clip is for. Ignore the GT Palm Muting sample unless you're a gluten for punishment.

Recorded with a Sennheiser 609 off axis turned slightly to the center using Sonar Producer.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=990329

I LOVE my CTO. It has slayed every pedal I own cept my Paul C Timmy. And at $40... It makes me laugh at how good it sounds. I have the V1. @ $40 everyone should own one of these. The CTO makes my Stiletto come to life. I wont play thru the amp without it (or my Timmy)

For $40 bucks I couldn't resist either. The only complaint I have is the stacked Bass/Treble knobs. What a pain in the a$$ to tweak.

We'll see how the CCTO compares against my trusty 808 modded TS-9 with the Roadster this week at practice. So far I'm very impressed with it through my SS practice amp, very transparent indeed. It should be a nice contrast with the TS-9.

Dom

domct203 said:
For $40 bucks I couldn't resist either. The only complaint I have is the stacked Bass/Treble knobs. What a pain in the a$$ to tweak.

We'll see how the CCTO compares against my trusty 808 modded TS-9 with the Roadster this week at practice. So far I'm very impressed with it through my SS practice amp, very transparent indeed. It should be a nice contrast with the TS-9.

Dom

Yea, those tone controls, bass in particular, are difficult to turn. I hope that once the bass is set I won't have to mess with it much.

I'd be interested to know how you like it against your TS-9. I knew when comparing it to a AC that the two where quite a bit different from one another but the CTO does seem to be more closely related to the TS-9.

How does the Cool Cat compare to the Maxon od808? I just bought the Maxon, but not sure if I want to keep it. I like my OCD better.

Well, that's the best $40 I've spent in a while. The CCTO is a very clear sounding OD. Brighter and snappier than my TS-9, without the big mid-range hump. My modded TS-9 is warmer, but not as clear, and the CCTO's bass and treble controls are much better than the single tone control on the TS-9, they're just hard to tweak, especially if you have big fingers.

IMO, I think the CCTO sounded the best boosting the Vintage & Modern channels. The TS-9 is somewhat rounder sounding and really sounded great with the low-gain and clean channels. Tweaking the bass and treble on the CCTO can warm it up, but the mid hump of the TS-9 makes it stand out on the lower gain channels.

The CCTO also handles hot signals without overloading the input and falling apart. I setup a nice high gain rhythm sound with the CCTO in Vintage mode, and hit the TS-9 for a great solo boost. It also handled a nice hot signal from my Barber Tone Press, something the TS-9 does not do as well with.

Bottom line, it's worth the $40 bucks.

Dom

Latest posts

Back