Damaging the reverb transformer

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMMP

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm posting this here because I feel it is universal to most Mesa amps, but my specific post is about a mark iv.

I have read that unplugging the reverb from the quad preamp can result in damaging the reverb transformer, and I was wondering if the same applies to the mark IV. I couldn't find any thread regarding the topic, nor the original thread I read about the quad. Any help would be appreciated!

I would PM Authorized Boogie or call tech support. The reverb driver is a small single-ended tube amp. Without the tank it could cause the driver to go a little berzerk and if the reverb transformer was whimpy enough it may cause issues. The tank's input looks like a speaker load to the driver tube, and, you should know, not to run a tube amp with no load on it.

F#nder has been running reverb like this for years and I have never heard of this before. Maybe you can pull V4 out (reverb driver) if you don't want reverb and not worry about it.

- Pat.

Thanks for the advice.

Maybe fashioning an "attenuator" for the reverb circuit would work. Seems it doesn't put out a lot of power, so it wouldn't require a highly specialized resistor.

Back