Custom Snakes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bzylka

Reaction score
Anyone know if it's possible to use 8 pin speakon connectors to make your own snake? I was thinking of using the connector to hook up my pedalboard to an interface and make just one cable and have the luxory of it locking in place. I've never seen anyone use a speakon connector to make it one connector instead of say, four 1/4." Is this even a good idea?

bzylka said:
Anyone know if it's possible to use 8 pin speakon connectors to make your own snake? I was thinking of using the connector to hook up my pedalboard to an interface and make just one cable and have the luxory of it locking in place. I've never seen anyone use a speakon connector to make it one connector instead of say, four 1/4." Is this even a good idea?

sure its possible - but not advisable. if you are talking about using an 8 pin speakon SPEAKER cable; those are not shielded and you would be asking for the introduction of unwanted noise into your rig.

you would be better served by using a multi-core mic cable type snake cable and using something like a multi-pin XLR connector or something.

just my opinion.

more details concerning the items you are trying to connect up would be helpful.

cheers

if your looking for an all in one cable snake i have had good luck with these www.pedalsnake.com. Been using it for about a year now with no issues at all, super flexible, no noise and sounds good too. You can configure it specific to your needs

I've got the 1st Gen pedalsnake where they soldered the connectors instead of using the pigtails and it's great, but sort of a pain to connect 4 connectors on each end. I was figuring to chop the ends off and toss a speakon on the end to make it quicker. Def. not using a premade speakon speaker cable though. :)

topcat0399 said:
bzylka said:

sure its possible - but not advisable. if you are talking about using an 8 pin speakon SPEAKER cable; those are not shielded and you would be asking for the introduction of unwanted noise into your rig.

you would be better served by using a multi-core mic cable type snake cable and using something like a multi-pin XLR connector or something.

just my opinion.

more details concerning the items you are trying to connect up would be helpful.

cheers

Big no no on the speaker cable. :) I have a pedal snake that has 4 1/4" plugs soldered and 2 dc power soldered in. I was thinking of replacing all those connectors with the Speakon connector to run from my either my rack or head to my pedalboard. The pedal board would have an interface built on it where all the pedals come into it and only one speakon out. The board now runs a footwitch, front of amp input, and fx loop send/return.

You Def don't want to run the pedalsnake as a speaker cable!

reilly said:
You Def don't want to run the pedalsnake as a speaker cable!

Right. Instead of using the pedalsnake with 4 connectors to my board, I'd have 1 connector. The rack/head would still use their existing speaker cables. These would be just amp input, fx loop, and my marshall footswitch.

So I've been dragging on this project, but should have pics up soon. I finally assembled my interface box for the pedal board. The box has the speakon on one side and 4 quarter inch jacks on the other. I've wired +1 to the tip of jack 1 and -1 to the ground of jack one and did this all the way through. Then I color coded them so I would know which one goes to which number. Only thing left to do know is cut the 1/4" plugs off my snake and solder them into the speakon connector instead. Then mount the bad boy to my pedal board! :)

~b

Latest posts

Back