Custom MarkIV +Stiletto Cab Venture

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maldeve

Reaction score
Been looking around at lot of different materials for customizing my Mark IV and cab (whenever it FINALLY arrives :evil: ) I already have it setup through a friend that does custom metal work, labors gonna be free so i'm only paying for the materials.

I think I've narrowed it down to a couple of things.

Im gonna completely cover the sides of the cab like mesa does with the polished diamond plating, and completely cover the tolex on the head also but im gonna use either one of these metals.

Metalquilt.jpg
Rumbas.jpg
CopperRumbas.jpg

Not exactly sure how I'm gonna mount the metal yet either. the metalsmith said he could use a form of glue or screws.

His also gonna use his water jet to cut a pattern in the metal on the side armor of the cab so some of the black tolex will show through. Making it not a completely solid color.

Thinking about something tribal

images.jpg
tn_tr5.jpg

What do you guys think, Bad idea, just plain stupid, might be ok, or kool ?

I know buy doing this its gonna most liking completely kill the resale value but I'm hoping it will never come to that .

Anyway would like to here your guys opinions! :)

Dude, I feel you on the wait. I'm currently waiting for my Mark IV to arrive as well.. I'm in week 9.

Alas, I have, and and probably always will, feel that Diamond Plate is retarded. I think it is tacky, and frankly, ugly. However, if you had him just put something like stainless steel, or another "plain" silver metal, and cut some of those patterns into it, I think it would be awesome.

Especially, if you just put the metal onto the face of the Mark IV, and the sides of the cab (no one will ever look at the bottom, or the top).

I think it would look cool. The metal in the top left reminds me of Kustom amps, not quite sure why. I like the top right and bottom, they remind me of metallic croc skin. I personally like the gold the most, primarily because black and gold kick ***, but I think the chrome and black would look really clean and modern. If tribal stuff is your thing go for it, but don't do something you will regret.

I have one quick question though: Why did you order new gear? I mean, if you are going to do this, you are going to negate the warranty aren't you? Plus you have to wait a long time to get everything in, and finally you have to pay a couple hundred more. I would definitely think everything through a 100% before doing it because once it is done there is no going back. I think it is a cool idea, but make sure to check everything out before you commit.

Rampage said:
I think it would look cool. The metal in the top left reminds me of Kustom amps, not quite sure why. I like the top right and bottom, they remind me of metallic croc skin. I personally like the gold the most, primarily because black and gold kick ***, but I think the chrome and black would look really clean and modern. If tribal stuff is your thing go for it, but don't do something you will regret.

I have one quick question though: Why did you order new gear? I mean, if you are going to do this, you are going to negate the warranty aren't you? Plus you have to wait a long time to get everything in, and finally you have to pay a couple hundred more. I would definitely think everything through a 100% before doing it because once it is done there is no going back. I think it is a cool idea, but make sure to check everything out before you commit.

Thanks for the Feedback Matterra, I agree with you on the diamond plating, It reminds me to much of my bedliner and toolbox on my truck! :)
But I really do like the concept of it, thats why I'm just gonna use a different Metal material.

Rampage

To answer your question I really did look into buying a used Head and cab but the closest Mark IV used was in Georgia. It was about a 6 hour drive from me. I'm way to sketchy about ebay , not sure why, I just am.
The overall factor though was I just wanted one new, I didnt want to worry about tube problems or any issues that might have degraded the sound for my first Mesa Boogie Amp. I want to experience the quaility of a brand new Mesa engineered product first hand not second.

Also the money for the Amp and the custom work I'm going to do to it is not a issue. What is a issue to me that you brought up was the warranty. I'm for sure going to call Mesa tomorrow and ask them if adding custom cosmetic features voids my warranty. I hope i't would not seeing that im not disturbing any internal components of the Head or Cab.

I'm torn between the color also , the gold/black and silver/black both will look pretty sharp!

Yah, the truck comparison is probably why I don't dig Diamond plate...
Not because I don't like trucks, but because most of the tool-boxes with Diamond plate are really cheap, and flimsy, and they just use the Plate to make the box seem "tough".. so there is a stigma in my head that Diamond Plate = Cheap. However, I'm sure thats not the case with all plate, just a personal mental block.

Matterra said:
Yah, the truck comparison is probably why I don't dig Diamond plate...
Not because I don't like trucks, but because most of the tool-boxes with Diamond plate are really cheap, and flimsy, and they just use the Plate to make the box seem "tough".. so there is a stigma in my head that Diamond Plate = Cheap. However, I'm sure thats not the case with all plate, just a personal mental block.

+1

Yea thats exactly the case for me, I just see to much of it in my daily grind. It just seems really common, I work with about 20 to 30 other people in my company that all have the same polished diamond plate toolboxes. Hehe, everytime I see it I'm reminded of work , and thats the last thing I want, being that the guitar is really my only stress relief. :roll:

I'll be honest with you...when you actually get the full setup, you may like how it looks stock soo much that you won't touch it.

Even though it seems simple, a Mesa stack just has inherant class to it :wink:

Mine should be here in a week or two :D

ibanez4life SZ! said:
I'll be honest with you...when you actually get the full setup, you may like how it looks stock soo much that you won't touch it.

Even though it seems simple, a Mesa stack just has inherant class to it :wink:

Mine should be here in a week or two :D

True, but I dig when people play Boogie Combos. Those have too much class to be handled, especially compact combos. I super dig when everyone is like "meh, that little box can't be that good, its not a stack!" then whoever is playing one just wails, and the tone is great.

That being said, I went with the next classiest thing, a quarter-stack with a short head. :D Yay for tiny packages of beautiful cleans, and brutal gain!

Latest posts

Back