Custom Express finally came in...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EtherealWidow

Reaction score
...and God **** is it sweet. The C12K actually wasn't too bright at all. Very dark in fact. I love it. I think that maybe the metal grill that normally goes over the speaker was causing some phase issues when I had it on in the store. I don't know though. If worse comes to worst I'll just buy a grill cloth rather than a whole new speaker. Btw, the metal grill is oatmeal colored to match the wicker cane. Breaking in the speaker today. Sounding awesome.
l_334625f743bb4877ae49a6198767390c.jpg

Very nice!!! That is a great color screen..love the grill. Happy playing.

BTW, God doesn't have a last name. :)

Finally !!!

Congrats !!!

Looks great. When I bought mine around 3 months ago and you replied saying yours was a month away. I did not want to say anything but knowing how these things operate I was expecting it to take much longer as it is always the case.

Enjoy your new amp.

prodrigu said:
Finally !!!

Congrats !!!

Looks great. When I bought mine around 3 months ago and you replied saying yours was a month away. I did not want to say anything but knowing how these things operate I was expecting it to take much longer as it is always the case.

Enjoy your new amp.
Well I was told multiple times that it would arrive quite soon. I was told "by the end of November for sure." :lol: Thanks everyone for the comments. I figured since I'm planning on having this amp forever, why not go all out? Sounds awesome, although I need to find a better way to mic it. Haven't really gotten to crank it yet. This thing is LOUD. With the master turned all the way down on burn I can barely play it at night. The Thiele provides so much bass that I can't turn it up too much without it driving the parents downstairs crazy. Either way, looking forward to exploring it this week when no one is around.

Newysurfer said:
Congrats - classiest looking 5:50 I've ever seen :mrgreen:

Thats because it's a 5:25 :lol:

Enjoy that amp ! After having mine for about 6 months my other amps are still not being used, not even the JCM800

EtherealWidow said:
...and God **** is it sweet. The C12K actually wasn't too bright at all. Very dark in fact. I love it. I think that maybe the metal grill that normally goes over the speaker was causing some phase issues when I had it on in the store. I don't know though. If worse comes to worst I'll just buy a grill cloth rather than a whole new speaker. Btw, the metal grill is oatmeal colored to match the wicker cane. Breaking in the speaker today. Sounding awesome.
These amps do sound pretty dark at low volume. That changes a lot as the levels rise. I usualy have to wind the trebble back a fair bit when I take mine out of the practice room and play with the band.

J.J said:
EtherealWidow said:
These amps do sound pretty dark at low volume. That changes a lot as the levels rise. I usualy have to wind the trebble back a fair bit when I take mine out of the practice room and play with the band.
But dude, in the store the thing was so **** bright. Unusable. And if I rolled the treble back, there went the gain! Whatever happened between the guitar store 2 months ago and now is good.

Even with Mesa I learned in my town that you cant trust what's going on in the store....

I suspect the stores (some of them, anyway) change the tubes to make the darn things not so loud.....so they can let people turn them up a bit without breaking windows. Mine had a ECC82 in the P.I. slot when I bought it off the show room floor, which I believe is the tube that has a 20% gain factor. Still sounds good, but makes it not nearly as loud. They also had 3 different brands of tubes in the first three slots and none of them were Mesa tubes.

I'm glad your custom order sounds great. On the burn channel, try doing it the other way around......turn the gain off, then turn the master way up, then ease the gain back up ever so slightly. It will get loud almost immediately, but it wont be overdriven or distorted right away, like the first 5 or 10% of the gain knobs range. It will give you a really nice punchy rhythm sound. I'm doing this with 5751's in my slots, so mine may be more forgiving than yours if you run all 12AX7's per spec. But when I do manage to get volume out of the burn channel without distortion, it is an awesome rhythm sound that's more fun than the clean channel. I aimed for that so I could use my clean channel with pedals to get a specific lead sound.

soundchaser59 said:
Even with Mesa I learned in my town that you cant trust what's going on in the store....

I suspect the stores (some of them, anyway) change the tubes to make the darn things not so loud.....so they can let people turn them up a bit without breaking windows. Mine had a ECC82 in the P.I. slot when I bought it off the show room floor, which I believe is the tube that has a 20% gain factor. Still sounds good, but makes it not nearly as loud. They also had 3 different brands of tubes in the first three slots and none of them were Mesa tubes.

I'm glad your custom order sounds great. On the burn channel, try doing it the other way around......turn the gain off, then turn the master way up, then ease the gain back up ever so slightly. It will get loud almost immediately, but it wont be overdriven or distorted right away, like the first 5 or 10% of the gain knobs range. It will give you a really nice punchy rhythm sound. I'm doing this with 5751's in my slots, so mine may be more forgiving than yours if you run all 12AX7's per spec. But when I do manage to get volume out of the burn channel without distortion, it is an awesome rhythm sound that's more fun than the clean channel. I aimed for that so I could use my clean channel with pedals to get a specific lead sound.
Might have to try that tomorrow when I have the house to myself for a couple hours. And the whole "stores switching tubes" thing might explain why the combos sound like they have no gain, and why it seems that my amp is unbelievably loud compared to others. Then again, me being on the second story of a house with a Thiele cab probably doesn't help a whole lot. Still though, I haven't turned this thing up to 9 o'clock yet on the dirty channels because I need earplugs.

EtherealWidow said:
haven't turned this thing up to 9 o'clock yet on the dirty channels because I need earplugs.

Decibel level decreases dramatically with distance. Wireless is nice because it is really cool to crank your amp up all the way and then stand 50 or 100 feet away from it and jam away.....

soundchaser59 said:

Well you gotta watch yourself real careful in Omaha Nebraska so I've been told - hehehehehe :mrgreen:

NewysurferWell you gotta watch yourself real careful in Omaha Nebraska so I've been told[/quote said:
I'm learning the hard way.....

oddly, Mesa amps are easier to find in Omaha than in KC. Maybe because the MF warehouse distribution center is in KC....

Back