Current Production Celestion Speakers

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BPski

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the currnet production Celestion speakers that are made in China yet? How is the sound and quality compared to the ones made in England? Thanks!!

I have an Avatar 2x12 open back cab with a v-30 and a G12H30, that I bought fairly recently, and I may have the Chinese versions in it. I'm not sure if they are marked differently or not. Are they marked, made in China? I heard no appreciable difference from that cab to a Mesa Open back cab with a V-30 being played along with a stock Black Shadow. That's the closest comparison that I can give you. I realize that it's not exactly apples for apples comparison, but there were 5 of us in the room and both set ups sounded similar to 5 sets of ears. If there's a way to tell if the speakers are made in China or England, let me know, and I'll check them.

Thank you for the info. I have a G12H-30 made in England and it sounds great. I always liked that speaker. I will have to find out if the Chinese ones are marked accordingly. I would think they would be. I think production began in China about 2 years ago.

Some people argue there is is a difference, some people argue there isn't. I'm sure people will still be arguing about this for years to come.

Truth is that for me, I can't hear the difference.

I guess the only thing to do is order a current one made in China and compare it to the English made one. In my thinking if the materials are the same and they are just assembled in China what could be the difference? It shouldn't matter who assembles it. Just my two cents.

If it's anything like most products that are made in China, it will be made out of the cheapest material they can find that closely resembles what it is really supposed to be, and will be assembled by about 15 guys, each performing one small specific part of the assembly process. There will also be a lot of quality/tonality variation from part to part.

My problem with them being made in China now is the price is still the same, so Celestion just makes a ton more money on them. If they are made in China now, why hasn`t the prices dropped? Greed. I won`t buy them anymore. I will buy the older ones or Emminence. Jack.

My problem with them being made in China now is the price is still the same, so Celestion just makes a ton more money on them. If they are made in China now, why hasn`t the prices dropped? Greed. I won`t buy them anymore. I will buy the older ones or Emminence. Jack.

I tried a Celestion V30 made in england and a chinese one, and the chinese has a more closed sound, and a little bit "squeeze"...while the english one is perfect.

marci84 said:
I tried a Celestion V30 made in england and a chinese one, and the chinese has a more closed sound, and a little bit "squeeze"...while the english one is perfect.
Probably the difference between a new speaker and one that has been broken in. :?:

Hey J.R.B. nice amp/speaker cab choices. I just pretty much stole($810.00 out the door...a G.C. blowout) a new VHT fat bottom 4x12 to use with my 3ch. Dual Rec. head.....MAN,what clear,tight,bottom end balls that cab has matched up with the D.R. head. No sloppy low end here.
I also tried the new VHT Deliverance cabs as well..very open sounding with a nice bottom end,but,for my money,the Fatty won hands down !

prs1999 said:
Hey J.R.B. nice amp/speaker cab choices. I just pretty much stole($810.00 out the door...a G.C. blowout) a new VHT fat bottom 4x12 to use with my 3ch. Dual Rec. head.....MAN,what clear,tight,bottom end balls that cab has matched up with the D.R. head. No sloppy low end here.
I also tried the new VHT Deliverance cabs as well..very open sounding with a nice bottom end,but,for my money,the Fatty won hands down !
I agree! I'd love to have a 4x12 fatbottom but living in Canada it would cost at least $1600us after shipping,brokerage and taxes. :x
BTW $810 is a wicked deal. The 2x12 is almost that much. CONGRATS!!!
Since I can't import the cab I want I decided to build myself a 6x12 with the bottom 4 V-30's sealed and the top 2 Classic Lead 80's open back. This is what I've got so far. I'm just waiting for the tolex and other parts to arrive.

DSCN0971.jpg

Yeah,I thought I scored pretty good on the Fat bottom at that price too. ALSO, they have a few Deliverance cabs at $635.00. I laid one away at that price.
I know being in the Great White North has it's drawbacks as far as getting equipment cheap from the U.S.I talk once a month or so with a guy from north of Toronto area and he's told me about the tax man up there.
Your 6x12 looks pretty good so far..nice joint work on the corners !
Now just dont load it with E.V.'s .....or it probably weigh over 300lbs. Keep me updated with how its coming and how many neighbors you make deaf with it...lol
~ John ~

musicbox said:
that thing is huge! decided on what finish/grill you're going to use? looks pretty clean so far, but heavy!
I've got the exact tolex and leather corners to match my Road King. I've also got 4 pieces of grille fabric to chose from but I haven't decided yet. My guess is that it will weigh close to 150lbs when finished :shock:

Back