creaking neck

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uberpwnage

Reaction score
Alright... Ive had my jackson dkmg for about 2 months and so far im lovin it with the emg 81/85 combo. Then the first time I divebomb on it....I hear a loud creak. This happens when I pull up also. So I took it to a guitar tech to figure out what was the deal. He told me the sound was not coming from the licensed FR but from the neck. Its not a nut issue or a bridge issue. The neck is a bolt on and is screwed in as tight as i could get it. Whenever I pick up my guitar it creaks and whenever i put the slightest pressure on it it does the same. Its really starting to piss me off.

Any Suggestions? Any help would be appreciated.

-Dan

I can think of two things to look at. First see if the screws are bottomimg out in the neck before they actually tighten it to the guitar. You may have to remove the neck, put the screws in, and measure how far they stick up. Then put them through the body and measure them... Second I would make sure there is enough tension on the truss rod.

thanks for the reply

i tried adjusting the truss rod but it didnt help and the screws are not bottoming out either

Im really stumped

anyone else have any thoughts?

It really sounds to me like your neck is not seated properly.

I would take off the neck and check the neck pocket for anything thats not letting the neck seat correctly,most likely suspect being a run in the paint in there or some wood not properly removed.
Give the neck pocket a clean and get it nice and smooth in there.A run in the paint or some wood not routed out properly will not look like much of a problem but will stop the neck from seating squarely and it will cause it to creak.

A truss rod is highly unlikely to cause the creaking.

can you post some pics from the neck attached and out with body joint and neck joint?

Setzer said:
It really sounds to me like your neck is not seated properly.

I would take off the neck and check the neck pocket for anything thats not letting the neck seat correctly,most likely suspect being a run in the paint in there or some wood not properly removed.
Give the neck pocket a clean and get it nice and smooth in there.A run in the paint or some wood not routed out properly will not look like much of a problem but will stop the neck from seating squarely and it will cause it to creak.

A truss rod is highly unlikely to cause the creaking.

You were correct Setzer. there was a piece of wood lodged in there making it impossible to tighten it up all the way. I must have over looked that before. Now its as solid as a neck-thru. thanks guys for helping me out cause that would not get out of my head.

Latest posts

Back